The First Letter

En başından başla

"Aw Harry, don't worry. Not all of us can be as handsome and confident as little Ronny here." George commented.

"Oh, Bog off." Ron chucked a potato wedge at him, then stuffing a few in his mouth.

------------------------------

On tuesday I decided to not push my luck and sat back on Ravenclaw, who didn't mention my absence the day before. I had potions first period, where I sat next to Harry as usual.

"Today we are going to be making the Wiggenwend potion - which is used to reverse the sleeping draught. You will be working in pairs." Snape began, and then began giving all the instructions at once as he usually does - unless you have a perfect memory or can write at lightning speed you usually end up guessing half of what you are doing.

"Wouldnt kill him to write the instructions on the board." I groaned.

"I don't know, seems to kind. Think he might implode." Harry sighed. We began making the potion, make a few guesses when we couldn't remember the measurements.

"Is it meant to be green?" Harry asked nervously.

"I think it's meant to be more blue-y" I winced, looking over another Gryffindors shoulder. "There's is silver. Should it be silver?"

"I don't know, should we ask?"

"Snape will just tell us we should've listened the first time."

"No of course not Snape, Lavender." Harry nodded to the girl whose potion I had looked at. "Hey Lavender!"

"Oh! Hey Harry."

"What colour is this potion meant to be."

"I have no idea. Mines silver but I think it's meant to be blue? Are you and Ron friends again?"

"What? Oh, uh, yeah. How do you know about that?"

"Never mind that Harry, I was right it's meant to be blue."

"5 minutes left." Snape droned.

"I should've warned you Snape doesn't like me, he's going to screw us both over because of this."

"Don't worry, I think most people's is a little off."

"The potion is just an excuse. Then again how will he take points off you? Your not in a house." I shrugged. "He will probably take double of me then." Harry half laughed but I could tell it bothered him.

"Step away from your cauldrons." Snape said, batting one of the Slytherin girls away from hers. I looked nervously at ours.

"Good consistency, terrible smell. Did you even add any sugar?" Snape asked Crabbe and Goyle, who shrugged. He moved on. He gave much worse criticism to the Gryffindors - Harry wasn't joking about him being unfair. I felt my palms getting sweaty - I wasn't use to getting shouted at by teachers. I suddenly saw a couple of glimmering lights cover the top of our cauldren, that faded away to show it had turned pale blue. I nudged Harry to see if he had seen it, but he was watching Snape review Lavenders potion. Snape came up to ours and used the spoon to lift some up to smell, looked surprised and then poured it to test its texture. He raised his eyebrows.

"Good. I recommend you find a new partner Miss Cunningham - I can't imagine Mr Potter had any involvement in this considering his... track record. A." I sighed in relief as he moved to the next cauldren.

"What happened?" Harry asked, looking at the potion.

"No idea. Maybe it oxidised?"

"I don't think it's meant to oxidise." I shrugged. I felt someone looking at me and looked up, to just see Draco as he dipped his head, half smiling to himself before putting a straight face back on.

-----------------------------

Nothing else noteworthy happened the rest of the week, that is until Friday night. I was sat in the Ravenclaw common room for movie night as usual when an owl began pecking at a window. Someone groaned and went to get it, taking a letter from it.

"It's for Elena." They said.

"How did it know I was here?" I asked as I stood up, walking over to get it. I excused myself for a moment while they made predictions about the movie, stepping into the hallway and sitting on the stone floor. Sure enough my name was scrawled on the front of the envelope. I flipped it over to see it had been closed with white wax, stamped with a family seal. It wasn't my own, but instead a large M. I peeled it open carefully and unfolded a letter.

Dear Elena,

I kept thinking about what you had said about liking letters and books that talked about someone's life and haven't seen you all week so thought maybe I would send one, get to be one of your book characters for once. Did you like what I did with your potion earlier this week? Totally saved you from a week of detention. I noticed you looked nervous as Snape was checking everything so after he checked mine I swapped our potions, pretty neat right? It's late you know, I should be sleeping. I probably won't send this until tomorrow morning, no, tomorrow night more likely after classes. You said you always go to the Ravenclaw common room then so I will know where to send it. I don't know how to write letters, i have only ever really sent them to my parents and those are always just saying that you are fine and maybe need a new toothbrush. The early morning quidditch practices are getting intense because of how cold it is - Adrian has stopped attending and keeps on sending owls during practice with drawings on him sat in the common room drinking hot chocolate and little drawings of us turning into ice sculptures. It's pretty accurate - I've got to give him that. Blaise accidentally called Professor Snape Dad the other day which we have been mocking his mercilessly for (you would know this if you came to visit the common room more often) - I have to admit we are running out of jokes so if you have any suggestions feel free to add them at the end of your letter. Oh I forgot to say - I am expecting a response, it's the least you could do after I fixed your potion. If you don't know what to say you can just tell me about whatever boring book you are reading and I'll pretend to be interested. I think if I keep the light on any longer Blaise might call Papa Snape to come tell me off so I'll end this here. Goodnight.

Yours Sincerely, Draco Malfoy.

He included a little drawing In guessing this Adrian guy had drawn, where he was sat in the common room wrapped in blankets looking very happy with some very cold looking quidditch players out the window. I smiled and tucked the letter into my pocket, trying to think of what I would respond as I went back in the Ravenclaw common room. That night, as the credits rolled for the movie we had to wake a few people up.

"Merlins Beard that was boring, couldn't keep my eyes open." Cho groaned.

"Trust me, we could tell from the snoring." I teased, and she shoved me with a surprising amount of strength for someone who was just asleep.

"I didn't, did I?!"

"Nah, I'm just messing with you. Kevin did all the snoring."

"Yeah, that sounds like me." Kevin admitted. I went back to my Dorm, and carefully slipped Dracos letter into my journal and writing the date at the top; December 4th. I sat on the floor next to my bed and pulled out my ink and quill.

----------------------------