Ch27: Not You, Too

Start from the beginning

"Thank you," He says, "For everything. I don't know if I can ever repay you."

"Speaking of repaying me, I know a way you can."

He pulls back. "How?"

"Remember when I told you about that psychiatristㅡ"

"This again," He cuts her off, furrowing his eyebrows in annoyance, "I don't want to go. I'm fine."

"You've been having nightmares for a long time," She says, patting his soft hair, "About our childhood. And the way you can't breathe and shake sometimes, I think they may be some sort of panic attacks. I just want to make sure you're okay. You'll just talk to the doctor, answer some questions, then we'll see what he says. Alright?"

Jungkook doesn't reply, looking down at his hands as he fiddles with his fingers.

"Think about it. Take your time and tell me as soon asㅡ"

"I'll do it," He interrupts, his head still low, "If that's how I can repay you."

"Thank you," She says, patting his head one last time before grabbing the bags and standing up.

"Now, I'm gonna go and try these stuff. Wanna help?" She asks in a playful tone, raising an eyebrow at him.

He looks up and smiles cunningly. "Will you let me put makeup on your face?"

"As long as it's not Halloween makeup," She shrugs, "Show me what you can do, artist Jungkook."

He chuckles, snatching the bags from her hands and running upstairs, and she shakes her head before following him.

---

"Mom!" Jimin calls as he walks in his house, running towards to the living room where he finds his mom sitting on a chair and staring blankly at her feet.

"Mom," He says with a grin as he walks towards her and sits on the ground in front of her, "You won't believe what happened today."

She finally looks at him with a small smile that doesn't reach her eyes. "What?"

"I got in a fight today with the guy who bullied me," He says quickly before she gets to respond, "BUT I kicked his ass so hard, and he won't bother me again. Or anyone else."

"Really?" She says, "That's great. I'm happy for you."

Jimin's smile falls as he looks at her face. "Are you okay? You look a little pale."

"I'm fine," She says, "Did you have dinner yet?"

"Answer me," He says, "What's wrong?"

She blinks, then puts a hand on his, "I was just not feeling well for a while, and I went to a check up at the hospital last week, remember?"

"Yeah," Jimin replies, "You're losing too much weight lately."

"The results came out today, and I have an appointment tomorrow with a doctor to discuss treatment plans."

"For what?"

"Lung cancer," She says.

Jimin's heart drops.

"But it's nothing to worry about," She adds quickly, "They said it's at an early stage and there are several treatment options which are likely to be successful. I didn't tell your dad, yet. He worries too much, you know him."

Jimin doesn't say anything. He doesn't even know what to say. It's like someone ripped his heart right out of his chest, a feeling he's familiar with after losing his mother. Not her, too, he thinks to himself, please not her, too.

He doesn't realise he's crying until he feels her hand wiping the tears on his cheek, and she holds his face in her hands, smiling at him softly.

"I don't want you to worry about me. I'll be okay, I promise. Everything's going to be okay."

"Not you, too," He whispers.

Her heart breaks at his words and she fights back tears. "I'm not going anywhere."

"I'll come with you tomorrow."

"You have school."

"I said I'm coming with you tomorrow," He says, swallowing a lump in his throat.

She purses her lips and nods, pulling him in for a hug.

---

A/N:

I really thought this book would end soon but things keep on popping up and I have to keep up

I really thought this book would end soon but things keep on popping up and I have to keep up. Now I gotta deal with the lady cuz she decided she has cancer. They're really testing my patience aren't they.