Sixth year | Potions

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry, sir, I haven't actually got my book yet and nor is Ron."

"Not to worry, get what you want from the cupboard. Now as I was saying, I prepared some concoctions this morning. Any ideas what these might be? Yes, Miss...?"

"Granger, sir. That one there is Veritaserum. It's a truth-telling serum. And that would be Polyjuice Potion. It's terribly tricky to make. This is Amortentia. The most powerful love potion in the world." Hermione obviously answered. Anyone well versed in potions would know those.

"It's rumored to smell differently to each person according to what attracts them. For example, I smell... Freshly mown grass and new parchment and... Spearmint toothpaste."

I glanced at Ron with wide eyes and eyebrows up. He didn't notice. Suddenly, something caught me and it was alluring in scent. I wanted to continue smelling it.

"Now Amortentia doesn't create actual love. That would be impossible, but it does cause powerful infatuation or obsession. And for that reason, it is probably the most dangerous potion in this room." Professor Slughorn covered the potion.

I snapped out of the trance and a bunch of other girls stopped, looking around to see they had walked towards it. I hadn't walked towards it like they had, but I still felt embarrassed, because smelling it made me want to continue smelling it.

"What did you smell?" Draco whispered.

"None of your business."

I tried to pay attention in class again, but he kept bothering me. He kept asking, but I refused to tell him I smelled him. Not a big deal, he is my boyfriend, but his ego would inflate more than its capacity.

"Why don't you tell me? I know the girls aren't the only ones who could smell it." I smirked.

He looked around the class, "Meet me at the lake, I'll tell you after."

"One tiny vial of liquid luck to the student who in the hour that remains, manages to brew an acceptable Draught of Living Dead. Recipes for which can be found on page 10 of your books. Issue one doubt, however. Only one set of students manage to brew a potion of sufficient quality to claim this prize. Nevertheless, good luck to you all. Let the brewing commence."
Was the last thing I caught from Professor Slughorn.

We got to our positions, opening my potions book. I looked at the instructions confused. Everyone was having a hard time figuring the ingredients out. I couldn't get the stupid thing to cut, on accident in sudden anger, I crushed the thing.

I got a few looks, but I saw the juice coming out. Quickly I put it over the cauldron, stirring the potion counter-clockwise. It seemed okay, so I waited patiently as everyone struggled with theirs.

Professor Slughorn went around the classroom, observing every student fail to make the advanced potion. Hermione had a hard time making hers as well, which was unusual for the "brightest witch of her age".

Getting to mine, I held my breath in anticipation. He dropped a leaf in there, but only half of it remained.

"You did well, but it's a little weak. Good try though Miss—" I hesitated using that name, but he'd figure it out eventually.