The Bliss of Motherhood - #5.1

One week later:

It was the third day that Mishti had thrown up the dinner of last night in the following morning. Abir had been scurrying around more worried than any member in the now-busy household, calling up at least 3 gynaecologists to confirm if the morning sickness was normal. Mishti had already got tired of her over-the-top husband, wondering how difficult he is going to make the next 8 months for himself.

It was 10 A.M. when Abir finished his final phone call to find Mishti sitting alone at a bench in the veranda. Taking the chance, he immediately asked Parul Masi for another plate of breakfast. Abir sat Mishti down and with a lot of teasing fun, made her finish the entire plate.

Mishti may have been happier today, but Abir simply couldn't miss the dark circles around her eyes and her tired features. An undisturbed week without Kuhu and Meenakshi around gave them the chance to bring back the little spark that had dimmed in the time Mishti had tried to keep herself away from everyone.

Seeing Abir's indifference towards him, Kunal had occupied himself as well as Meenakshi by taking up heavy outstation business projects, much to Meenakshi's disappointment. Kuhu had voluntarily resumed her old business, just to keep herself safe until Kunal returned. The week was about to get over, they realized, and Abir's growing worry was only concerned to Kuhu and his mother's presence around Mishti and their baby.

Mishti watched him becoming the same old 'neend mein bhi hoshiyar' Abir Rajvansh, more meticulously this time, after the gynaecologist had strictly advised them both to abort the child. He knew there was no use persuading Mishti, but he still had tried on the first night of returning home, which had led to Mishti falling sick and her BP skyrocketing.

Like any other pregnant woman, she was told to stay happy. Badi maa and Parul Masi were correct, she realized; her happiness and Abir's happiness were interlinked. For the past 2 to 3 times since her first trip that she visited her home for a day, she had failed to notice the dimming light of her husband's hopes, and how he couldn't help but still love her the same. The time Badi Maa had given her a reality check, Mishti had immediately decided to stop hurting Abir for a mistake he didn't commit, but her traumatic response had time and again brought out the worst of her.

"Abir?" She asked in a whisper.

Abir looked at her and raised a brow.

"Tum... naaraz nahi ho mujhse?"

Abir smiled. "Koshish karun kya?"

Mishti grinned and shook her head.

"Arey?" Abir crossed his arms, "Tumne hi toh pucha na?" he gave a mischievous grin, "At least punishment toh banti hai, no?"

Mishti understood his intentions. She slowly rose to her feet and aimed her line of escape.

But Abir was took quick. In two strides he pulled her into his arms and hugged her from the back. He tickled her till the echoes of her laughter reverberated inside the entire mansion but she suddenly shrieked in pain.

Abir left her almost immediately. He watched in worry as Mishti groaned in excruciating pain clutching the right of her lower abdomen.

"Mishti I'm sorry, are you okay?" Abir panicked and made her sit down on a chair. He knelt down and touched her abdomen, "Tumhari internal injuries... Humne kitne din se check-up nahi karvaya hai, agar koi problem..." he gulped in fear and shook his head, "Hum abhi chal rahe hain, chalo."

"Abir come on!" Mishti held his hand as he rose to his feet, "Ek hafta pehle hi check-ups karaye na? And I'm okay now. Yeh hota hai kabhi-kabhi."