The Party

You knew you didn't want to come to a big party. Your best friend Tanya promised it wouldn't be a big party. Yet somehow, here you were, standing in some stranger's living room, holding a beer that someone had shoved in your hand. You repeatedly pressed the bottle to your lips, taking small sips, even though you didn't care much for the taste of beer--nor was it strong enough to get you as drunk as you wanted to be.

Tanya, ever the outgoing one, had already found a guy to flirt with for the night and they were busy talking. Your eyes shifted around at the sea of people as you lingered on the edge of a group of loose acquaintances and your words caught in your throat. You stared at your feet uncomfortably as your chest grew tighter and the bass from the music pounded louder and louder in your ears. You needed to get out.

You were practically shoved back against a corner by all the people packed into the small living room. The only option was a door close behind you that looked like it must have led to the basement. There was a light on down there. You became curious.  You pushed the door open and slipped through it. 

You could hear the faint sound of a guitar being played. Gingerly, you tiptoed down the stairs, your jaw dropping. The guitar was being played by the most beautiful man you'd ever seen. His blonde hair was long and messy. His perfectly chiseled face was intently focused on his work. He wore a flannel shirt and ripped up jeans. There was something about him that was completely captivating to you. You couldn't look away. He was good. Really good. You became enthralled with listening to him. 

Suddenly he stopped playing and raised his eyes, looking right at you. You froze like a deer in headlights.

"Who are you?" He demanded, looking panicked.

"I'm (Y/N)" you said quietly.

"No one's supposed to be down here." He frowned, clearly annoyed and maybe even a bit embarrassed.  

"Sorry, I'll go," you apologized hurriedly, turning to dart back up the stairs.

"No, wait." You froze. Your eyes lingered in his, which were the most beautiful shade of blue you'd ever seen.  "You can stay. Please stay, (Y/N)."

"I'm sorry," you told him slowly creeping back downstairs. "I just couldn't deal with the crowd up there"

"Yeah, me either," he answered, studying you. "I kind of have to though, since I live here." You took a quick look around and noticed a twin bed in the corner amongst a bunch of strewn books and pieces of paper. 

"I'm so sorry. I didn't realize this was your personal space," you apologized, feeling terrible.  He shrugged, appearing less uncomfortable than earlier.

"Don't worry about it. I'm Kurt, by the way. Sorry if I was rude to you."

"It's okay," you reply. "I shouldn't have just barged in. I wasn't thinking about anything except getting out of there." 

" I understand the compulsive need to avoid people." He flashed you a dazzling grin that you couldn't help but return.  "You can come the rest of the way down here.  You don't have to stay on my stairs... I mean, unless you're uncomfortable... which is fine..." he stumbled awkwardly over his words.  

"I'm not uncomfortable," you answered honestly, descending the rest of the stairs.  

"Good," Kurt answered.  "I'm glad.  You can sit over there, if you want to."  He put aside his guitar and motioned to a folding chair across from where he was sitting.

"Thanks," you answered, walking over and taking a seat.  You felt nervous for a second as Kurt's eyes fell on you, but he quickly turned his lips up into a small smirk.  He lowered his head and peered up at you shyly.  You felt your cheeks redden slightly as your eyes met his and you grinned.  

"I hope this is better than being stuck up there," he spoke softly.  You nodded.

"Definitely.  Umm, so, you're really good at playing guitar."

"Thanks.  I have a band.  Sort of."

"What do you mean, sort of?" you asked, chuckling.

"Well, the rest of my bandmates are upstairs partying, like they do every night of the week.  If they put half that much effort into practicing, then we might actually have something to work with." 

"Oh, I see.  My best friend is like that too--with the partying, I mean.  She's the only reason I came here tonight. But she probably left with the guy she was talking to by now." You rolled your eyes.

"Probably one of my friends." Kurt smirked and shook his head.  You shrugged.

"Small town.  What can you do?"

"Yeah.  It is.  I'm surprised I haven't seen you around before."

"I like to keep a low profile."  You flashed him a grin, feeling a little less shy.  His smirk widened and his bright blue eyes gazed softly at you.  

"I'm...umm... I'm glad you came down here tonight."

"Yeah.  Me too."  You admired Kurt's handsome features as there was a pause in your conversation.  "So, can I listen to you play your guitar some more?"

"Oh, I don't know," Kurt answered. "I don't usually play for other people by myself. I was just working on a new song earlier." 

"Do you sing too?" you asked.  Kurt had such a pleasant speaking voice.  You imagined his singing voice would be lovely as well.

"I do," he answered.  

"That's really cool."  You wished he'd offer to play for you, but he still seemed hesitant.  You felt his eyes studying you intently, almost like he could read your thoughts somehow.  

"Well, I suppose I could play a song for you."  He reached for his guitar.  You grinned at him as he began strumming.  And your heart began to melt as you heard him softly start to sing. 

Several hours later, Kurt had shown you parts of almost every song he'd been working on.  He seemed to quickly open up to you and you were eager to offer encouragement and feedback.  You were very impressed by his talent, and even more intrigued by his humbleness.  Somehow the two of you ended up lying on your backs side by side on his throw rug, sharing stories about your lives and periodically breaking into fits of hysterical laughter.

When the sun was starting to rise, Kurt gave you a kiss on the cheek and a folded piece of paper with his phone number.  He told you he hoped he'd see you again soon as you said farewell.  

You never would have guessed that this would be such a special night-- the night you made an amazing new friend, who you would eventually discover was the love of your life, and who you would end up supporting through the immense amount of fame he deserved as a musician. 

You had both found true happiness that would last a lifetime.