Last Chapter

I am beautiful today and I know it.

My return has not been easy, and I have some explaining to do. But the work is done.

I see him, my Quin, Joaquin, Apo, and other names and faces across time.

He is happy to see me. I kiss him deeply.

"The war is over," I say. I kiss each of his tired, recovering fingers. "You're safe now."

"What did you do?" he asks, concern mounting.

"Aman and I made a deal."

"You shouldn't have done that."

"What matters is he has agreed to stop. He will submit to Bathala's hierarchy again. You will restore order and he will not interfere."

"In exchange for what?"

"I will be going away for a while."

"What does that mean?"

"Exile. I will not be harmed. I demanded that I be comfortable."

If he had more strength, the grip he has on me now would hurt. "You know it must come to this," I say, "We have to give him his due. Aman's anger is coming from love."

"It's envy."

"It's from love. Trust me, please. The hurt from his lost love is too deep, and we can't move past it until he forgives those who took it from him."

"But we didn't take her from him."

"And yet we are allowed to have what he was denied. It isn't fair, I know, but this is what makes sense to him. This is how he can begin to forgive."

It has dawned on him now that I am saying goodbye. "How long will we be apart?"

"For as long as he says."

"Where will you be?"

"He has chosen a mountain. I will have everything I need. It will be better than hiding from war."

"You may be visited?"

"By those who need me, yes. But not you. Unless he allows it."

Quin's hand balls into a fist. "You shouldn't have done this."

"I prefer this than the dreadful waiting to see what you've inflicted upon each other." There are tears on his face. I try to kiss each one. "I believe that I can appeal to his kinder nature to release me sooner. But if he doesn't, don't worry. I will be safe, and we will live forever."

"You were never this patient."

"I learned from you."

We have tonight, still. That is more than most people have, and Quin knows it.

We make it count. We make it matter. We make memories that will sustain us until we can see each other again.

Until then I will be, temporarily, Hannah of the mountain.

The End.