A DINNER BETWEEN SNAKES

C H A P T E R T W O

"A DINNER BETWEEN SNAKES"

As Petal was drawing me a bath, I picked an outfit that I knew mother would like

As Petal was drawing me a bath, I picked an outfit that I knew mother would like. My favorite velvet green dress. It has thin straps, a square neckline, and fits me very nicely. I paired the dress with black strappy heels, just tall enough so my dress wouldn't drag on the floor. After my bath, Petal picked out some jewelry while I focused on my hair. Petal dried it for me, and I began brushing through it. Deciding it would be best up, I put it in a bun. As I put on the jewelry Petal picked out for me, my mother came into my room. "Someone looks pretty, dressing up for a certain someone are we darling?" The way she smirked caused me to dread this dinner. "Well if I am to be married, I might as well put on a good impression on my in-laws." She let out what I assume to be a cheer of excitement. "You are too smart for your good, your father and I were going to surprise you when they came. He is overjoyed that the Malfoys agreed to this engagement. He genuinely likes Draco, speaking of the boy, does the two of you get along?" I mean I have to marry him even if I don't get along with him. With one glance at Petal, the look she was giving warned me not to say anything. "I don't know him that well. We may share a house, but we don't talk much" I fiddled with my rings as she sat down next to me. "I am so glad I organized this dinner. It is a great chance for you to get to know him. They say he is just like his father, as he and your father are friends the two of you should get along great! That reminds me, he and his family will be staying the night and we will be going to the World Cup together." I plastered a smile on my face while thinking of ways to get out of this.

My mother left my room without another word, dragging Petal with her to make sure everything was perfect for the Malfoys. I can't believe he was staying in the room next to me and that our families will be spending the next few days together. One of the rare days my parents aren't busy and I have to spend it trying to get along with Draco. I didn't spend much time dwelling on the events ahead as my mother called for me to greet the Malfoys. As I came to the bottom of the stairs, I noticed the Malfoys were already there. They stood close to the fireplace, so I assume they got here a second before I did. My parents greeted the Malfoys as I made my way to where they stood. "Lucius, Narcissa, I would like you to meet my daughter Achilles." My mother introduced me as I smiled and shook their hands. This isn't the first time we are meeting but the first time the Malfoys officially looked at me as someone of interest. It's tradition to be introduced even if you've already met. "She is beautiful Helena. She is your spitting image." Narcissa smiled sweetly at me and reached out to tuck a strand of hair behind my ear. My mother thanked her, and we moved into the dining room where the house-elves had been setting up only moments ago. As we took our seats, I noticed Narcissa discretely nudge Draco in my direction. He seemed to have caught on and sat next to me, avoiding looking me in my eyes.

Dinner was uncomfortable, the discussion being about my impending marriage to the blonde on my left. I barely touched my food which I'm sure Petal will scold me about later. I can picture her making me a sandwich and observing me eat it while reminding me just how important eating is. I was pulled from my thoughts when my mother spoke my name. "Achilles adores quidditch, she begged us for a week to go with her." I grinned and nodded my head politely as the attention briefly focused on me. "Draco is the same. He's the seeker for the Slytherin team." Lucius boasted proudly, sending a smirk my father's way. I noticed Draco sit taller as his father's eyes settled on him. "It seems our children share much in common, I think this engagement is absolutely a brilliant idea." My mother said, smiling ever so brightly while my father's hand grasped hers. Draco's parents shared their agreement while Draco and I smiled and nodded our heads. I knew I wouldn't have the joy of falling in love and getting married to someone of my interest. But did it have to be someone so different? Someone who cares only for blood status and nothing but. "I think we've bored the children long enough, Achilles show Draco to his room and get to know each other." For the first time tonight, my father addresses me. I smiled and said a quick goodnight to everyone before grabbing Draco's hand and leading him out of the room.