A waitress comes by to take my order. I ask for a glass of ice water and she leaves us glaring at one another.

"I don't see how that makes it any better," says Kyle, finally. "Two wrongs don't make a right. If you ever did something like that to me I'd never speak to you again. Ever."

"I would never have to do something like that to you," I fume. "You're not a psychotic bitch!" Heads turn towards our table.

"Calm down, Rebecca," he mumbles. "You're practically shouting."

"Look," I say, trying to regain control of my voice, "you're the one who told me to think for myself. I'm thinking for myself. Now Alex knows not to fuck with me."

"Alex doesn't have perfect pitch, Rebecca," says Kyle. "She told J.J. it was her fault."

"It was her fault. If she was a better singer, then maybe – "

I cut myself off while the waitress delivers my drink. Kyle continues after she leaves.

"She doesn't know you fought back, Rebecca. You haven't changed anything."

I fold my arms over my chest. "Billy Joel has his way, I have mine."

"That solves a lot," says Kyle. "Instead of facing your problems, you snipe at her from a roof. Very mature."

I come within inches of throwing my ice water in his face.

"Fuck you, Kyle."

* * *

Kyle finds me twenty minutes later standing in the hotel foyer.

Life is great. I'm alone in Whistler, Kyle's being an ass, Jesse's nowhere in sight and I'm trapped in this freaking hotel.

"Look, I'm sorry," says Kyle, coming up to me. "Alex has been awful and you don't deserve it."

Kyle's not my favorite guy, but at least he's better than no one. I relax and face him. "Fine," I say. "Let's just forget about the whole thing."

"Yeah," says Kyle. "We might as well make the most of tonight."

My eyes narrow. Now that's a come-on if I've ever heard one. "I can't believe you would say something like that to me just after – "

"Oh, get your mind out of the gutter, Rebecca." He waves his hand dismissively. "Some of the best musicians in the province are here."

Yeah, right. Like Kyle wouldn't be thrilled at the idea of spending a night with me. But then again, when he saw me in the snowboard store he was more upset than anything.

"It's probably freezing and I left my jacket at school," I say.

"Wear your band blazer. I'm wearing mine."

"We're not supposed to leave the hotel."

"Mac said lights out at ten. He didn't say what we were allowed to do after ten."

"You want to sneak out?"

"Sure. You're rooming with Annie and Megan, right? Just tell them you're going to the lobby to call your mom and then don't go back."

"The room has a phone, Kyle." He would never make it as a bank robber.

"I don't know, make something up. I'll meet you here at five after ten."

"Just the two of us? Like a date?" I grow suspicious.

"No, not like a date," says Kyle, exasperated. "Or yes, sure, exactly like a date. Whatever. I just don't want to go alone."

"It's ten to ten, people," says Mac, herding various members of the Yellow Jackets down the hall towards the elevator. "Time to head upstairs."

As the door slides shut, Kyle nudges me on the shoulder and taps his watch.

* * *

In my hotel room I watch television footage of Iraqi women and children running from the wreck of a burning car, but my mind is elsewhere. Annie and Megan try to include me in their conversation. They talk about guys in school, offer me a copy of Cosmo from the gift shop, flip to a rerun of The O.C.

I search my pockets and find a quarter. Heads, I'll meet Kyle. Tails, I'll stay in my room.

I flip the quarter in the air. It lands on the floor and rolls behind a dresser.

Mom would tell me to stay in the room. Mom would tell me to play by the rules.

"I'm going to go buy a toothbrush," I announce.

The elevator lets me off in the lobby. I pass framed, poster-sized photos of the Rocky Mountains, of skiers, and the town square, and half-expect to see Kyle standing in front of a mirror, preening himself for our night out. Instead I round a corner and run straight into Jesse.

"Jesse," I say, surprised. "What are you doing here?"

"Hey, Red," he says. "I'm going out with Kyle to see one of the bands." He steps aside to reveal Kyle standing behind him. A completely crushed bottle of Diet Coke is in his hand.

"Yeah," he says, his voice mottled. "J.J. invited himself along."

"Really?" I say, trying not to sound overjoyed. "What about Alex?"

Jesse shrugs. "I asked her, but I don't think she's interested. She's still upset."

Jesse's all alone. Interesting.

"Well," says Kyle, taking a step between us. "Shall we go?"