Chapter 9: What's Your Name?

Start from the beginning

The boy put on the socks and Susan demonstrated how to tie and untie shoelaces. He quickly caught on and started trying on the shoes.

"These feel strange," he said, walking around.

"But they fit, yeah?"

"Yeah, I think so."

Susan stood up quickly, brushing her hands off on her jeans. "Okay! Well, I guess we should look for the Doctor."

She began to walk quickly down the corridor, gradually breaking into a jog when she saw that the boy was easily able to stay with her. They almost passed a door that had a sign that read, "Pond's Room."

Susan firmly knocked on the door.

"Just a minute," a groggy Scottish voice called out. The door opened and revealed Amy, wearing a dark blue dressing gown over a blue and white striped nightie.

"What's up?" she asked, stretching and rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. She froze when she noticed the boy standing behind Susan. Her half-closed eyelids flew open in astonishment.

"We found this boy in one of the TARDIS rooms, and then the Doctor ran off somewhere. Do you know where he would normally be at this time?"

"I don't know," Amy said, "maybe his drawing room, or the laboratory, or he could be fixing stuff under the console unit." She turned to the boy. "I'm Amy, and who are you?"

"We haven't figured that out yet," he replied, smiling.

"I was planning to do some research in the library," Susan explained. "Maybe he had amnesia, or he was created by something... But we didn't get to do that yet."

"Wait, I have a plan," Amy exclaimed, eyes twinkling. She quickly closed the door and Susan could hear loud rustling in the room. The door opened again, and Amy handed Susan a walkie-talkie.

"I'll look for the Doctor, and you go and do your research," she said. She held up her walkie-talkie. "We can communicate with this, for when you find something interesting or I find the Doctor."

"That's clever!" Susan held the device up to her mouth. "Eagle-One to Eagle-Two, do you read me? Over." Her voice echoed in the device Amy held.

"Roger, roger, I read you, over," Amy replied with a large grin. "Let's move." She ran down the right side of the corridor, dressing gown billowing behind her, quickly rounding a corner and disappearing from sight.

Susan stuffed her walkie-talkie into the side pocket of her backpack. She grabbed the boy's hand and caught a tiny glimpse of his bewildered expression before she whispered, "Run."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Susan sat in the library, the same library she was in the first time she entered the TARDIS. The boy was fast asleep on the couch across from her, exhausted from running. On the table in front of her was a wall made of stacks and stacks of books: books about amnesia, human brain development, and even fiction novels in which a character had experienced amnesia.

An iPad rested beside her. She had brought it in her backpack and it had just randomly downloaded an app, courtesy of the TARDIS. The app was some sort of telepathic database in the library that found books pertaining to what she needed to know based on her thoughts. She was using the tablet to scan for key words. It was similar to the Control+F function on a computer keyboard, but instead of highlighting words in the actual text, it gave page numbers and line numbers. And she was wearing a pair of noise-canceling headphones that drowned out all background noise with soundtracks from her favorite television shows.

She had already finished eighteen books and was scanning through her nineteenth when she looked up to see the boy sitting across from her, thumbing through the pages of Cry, the Beloved Country.

"You're awake," she stated plainly, taking off her headphones. The boy looked up from his book.

"I am."

Susan glanced at the large stacks of books beside him. "Did you read all of those?"

"I read these," he said, patting the stack of books on his right.

"Wow."

A quizzical expression appeared on his face. "Wow is good?"

"Of course it is," Susan said, laughing. "People usually don't read books that fast." She picked up a book from a stack in the corner of the table and sat next to him. "It's a book on baby names. You should probably have a name, even if it's only temporary."

He nodded and turned to a random page. He put his finger on the page with his eyes closed. "What does this one say?"

"It says Alejandro," Susan read.

"Do you like it?" he asked her.

Susan made a face. "Not particularly."

"How about..." He moved his finger up and to the left. "This one?"

"Adrian?" Susan carefully scrutinized the boy's facial features. "I like it, but let's try another one to be sure."

He turned the page and pointed without looking at it.

"Brody? No," Susan said. "Let's stick with Adrian."

"Good. I liked that one too."

"Okay, let's try greeting again," Susan said, grinning. She stuck out her hand. "Hi, my name's Susan; what's yours?"

He took her hand and shook it, smiling back at her. "Nice to meet you. I'm Adrian."

A/N: I was writing this instead of studying for my exams yesterday, and I don't regret it one bit! Even though I probably bombed the English one. Thank you guys for being so wonderful!