Chapter 15: No Krafayis

"Has he moved?" Amy asked anxiously while pacing back and forth.

"No. Just shifted to the next window," Vincent replied.

"Come on," Adrian whispered to Susan, tugging her towards a door in the side of the church.

"What are you doing?"

Adrian grinned and tapped on the clay pot of paint in his arms. "You'll see."

"Where did all this confidence come from?" Susan asked.

Adrian's grin grew wider. "I read about it in a book."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The church was dark and ominous; the sound of growling bounced off the cold stone walls. It seemed as if the monster was everywhere at once. Adrian's firm grip on Susan's hand grew tighter as they went deeper into the building.

"Damn, he's moved," said a voice in another room, followed by the sound of breaking glass. Susan and Adrian both glanced at each other and then started running towards the direction of the noise.

They burst into a room and saw the Doctor and Amy climbing into a confessional. The sound of loud snuffling echoed around the room. Adrian dragged Susan to the wall, his hand squeezing hers so tightly that her fingertips had become numb. Susan pressed her finger to her lips, and he nodded in understanding. They slowly shuffled along the wall towards the Doctor and Amy.

Suddenly, a hole appeared in the side of the confessional, and the sound of Amy's screaming soon followed. Adrian let go of Susan's hand and started running forward. He threw the paint in the air, and a large splotch of white splashed onto the side of the Krafayis.

Adrian dashed back to Susan. "Now we can see it."

"Run!" Susan yelled as the floating splotch of paint started moving towards them.

They ran around the church, their footsteps echoing loudly. The white-painted beast followed them, growling and knocking over furniture.

"Adrian! Susan!" the Doctor yelled. Susan looked behind her shoulder and saw him holding out his sonic screwdriver.

"That won't work!" she cried, yelping in alarm when an iron bar topped with a cross almost fell on top of her. Thinking quickly, she stopped and turned back around to grab the metal bar. Adrian had also followed her.

"Run!" Susan shoved him away from her.

"I'm not leaving without you," he said. Then, the white outline of the Krafayis appeared beside him and he was flung into the air. He landed several yards away with a dull thump.

"Adrian!" the Doctor and Amy ran to Adrian's crumpled body, with Vincent following close behind, carrying his easel.

Susan turned away from them and started running, screaming at the top of her lungs. She led the Krafayis into a room stocked with hundreds of candles and candleholders. Spinning around quickly, she pointed the metal rod at the white splotch of paint, which was getting closer and closer.

A loud, pained cry rang out as Susan's weapon pierced what may have been the heart of the beast. Warm, invisible blood ran down the metal rod and between Susan's fingers. A heavy weight dropped on top of her, pinning her to the ground and knocking the air out of her lungs. Her arms were useless as the weight of the Krafayis kept them flat on the ground beside her. Her eyes were wide and her mouth gaped open as she struggled to take in a breath, but the body of the dying Krafayis blocked her from doing so. She tried to scream for help, but no sound came out.

Her pulse was pounding through her head, and she felt the throbbing of the bruises from that morning. Her body convulsed as she tried to push the beast off of her, or even to take in a breath, but it was to no avail. She had no leverage. Susan's lungs were screaming for air and black spots began to dance around on the stone ceiling behind the Krafayis. Where was the Doctor?