Chapter 9: What's Your Name?

"Doctor?" Susan called out as she walked into the console room with the boy trailing behind her, covered only by the red blanket that was wrapped around his shoulders. The Doctor wasn't anywhere to be seen. Susan let out a loud huff, making the boy step back in alarm.

"Sorry, I'm just frustrated," she said gently. His shoulders visibly relaxed. "Oh, wait! I forgot to introduce myself! My name's Susan." She offered her hand for a handshake. He stared at it, bemused.

"It's a handshake," Susan explained. She reached over, and gently took the boy's hand and shook it.

"Oh," he said.

"So, what's your name?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "I'm not sure. I guess I'll have to figure that out later."

"Let's...umm... just get you to the wardrobe," Susan stammered awkwardly.

"Okay." The boy followed Susan back into the corridor. She took a right, then another right, then a left. She stopped in front of the diamond room. The corridor had split into two paths, one leading left and one leading right. Susan looked back at the boy.

"I don't know which way we went from here," she said apologetically.

"Don't worry; I think I can remember." Susan followed the boy as he took the path on the left. Eventually, they reached their destination, the enormous walk-in wardrobe.

"Wait here." Susan ran up the spiral staircase and scanned the racks. After a few minutes, she ran back downstairs with piles of clothes. The boy had been waiting patiently; he hadn't even moved from the spot where she left him.

"Try these on," she told him as she put the pile on the floor. "I'll wait outside." He looked at her, bewildered.

"I never learned how," he said, embarrassed.

"Oh, sorry," Susan mumbled. She picked up the pile of clothing and held out a pair of white boxer shorts. "These go around...here." She made a motion as if she was wrapping a belt around her hips. "The tag always goes in the back and on the inside."

The boy took the shorts and Susan turned around. She heard the sound of the blanket falling off the boy's shoulders and hitting the ground with a soft thump.

"Okay," he said. She turned back around and handed him a few pairs of jeans.

"You put these on the way you did earlier. If one doesn't feel right, then try on another." He nodded and Susan turned around.

"So, what do I do with the metal bits?" he asked after a few moments. Suppressing an amused snort, Susan turned back around and picked up a pair of jeans on the ground.

"You pull the flappy bit up as high as it can go, then put the circle thing into the little hole." She demonstrated for him. He obeyed.

"Alright, now you've graduated to shirts." Susan handed him a stack of clothes. "Your head goes through here," she said, pointing at the corresponding hole, "and your arms go through here and here." She turned back around and waited.

An arm reached over her shoulder and lifted a dark gray zip-up hoodie from the stack of clothing she held. A few more moments passed.

"Does this look okay?" Susan turned around and examined the boy. He had put the jacket on over a red collared shirt and had zipped it up to the top. She tugged the zipper down a bit.

"Perfect." She turned around and grabbed a couple pairs of black Converse shoes from the shelf near the door. She handed him a pair of shoes along with a pair of white socks. "You might need to sit down for this."