Just as quick as it came, though, it went, and Harry rubbed away the tears with the sleeves of his cloak.

What the fuck? Was all the could think, before he decided to focus on what was in front of him.

"Can't this wait until later?" Tom asked, sounding annoyed.

Nott quickly shook his head. From Harry's perspective, he looked absolutely terrified. "N-no," he said. "It can't."

No one said anything, and Harry wasn't sure what to do. On one hand, this was an awkward situation and he felt like he probably shouldn't intervene. On the other, Harry was almost completely sure that Nott was lying about needing help with Ancient Runes.

But what would he need Tom for, then? Some Slytherin business? Which definitely existed, by the way.

"Give me and Harry a moment," Tom said. It didn't sound like he was asking.

Immediately, Nott nodded and seemed to bow away.

Tom turned around, and Harry raised his eyebrows. "Wait, what? You're actually going to leave?"

Even though he seemed annoyed and apologetic, Tom nodded. "Yes. I need to get back to my Ancient Runes work too."

Harry wanted to tell Tom that he should stay. That he had been working all morning and early afternoon, and that he deserved a break or his brain would explode. That he didn't want their date to end because someone was lying about needing help with Runes.

But, instead, Harry's throat closed over and he just nodded.

Tom sighed and leaned in, pressing a sweet kiss to Harry's forehead. When he pulled away, he ducked to whisper in Harry's ear.

"I'll make this up to you, I give you my word. Thank you for a wonderful afternoon, darling."

Harry gave him a half-hearted smile before Tom turned around and walked up into a trail, seemingly to where Nott was.

Sighing, Harry leaned against the tree him and Tom had previously been kissing against. If any of Harry's friends had asked Harry for homework help while he was with Tom (which they never would, but this is hypothetical), Harry would say later. Why wouldn't Tom do the same?

He huffed and looked down. How rude of him to assume Tom would make the same decisions as him. Tom was his own person, he could make decisions on his own. He didn't always have to put Harry first.

Even if it hurt.

He was probably overreacting, because it was one time. But... it still stung.

If Nott hadn't been lying about the Runes work, Harry probably wouldn't have felt like shit. Why couldn't he have just told Tom the truth? Was it bad?

And what the hell was that weird taste in Harry's mouth? It was so random and unexpected.

Realizing he probably wouldn't figure anything out just by leaning against a tree and sulking, Harry decided to start on the walk back up to the castle.

"Nott, you have ten seconds to explain yourself."

The Slytherin looked at Tom with fear in his eyes, and Tom thought that it wasn't enough.

How dare he interrupt his date with Harry? He must have forgotten his place, and it caused Tom to fume.

Harry was so much more important than anyone else, and Tom was forced to leave their date early for a rodent because their emergency word, 'Rune', was used. Fuck, Tom would have to make it up to Harry whenever he could.