⠀⠀𝟱𝟱. ❛ SHE SOUGHT DEATH ❜

Start from the beginning

     When the idea was proposed to Cara, she agreed and began making progress in getting her body back on track. She was already in physical therapy and trying to build up her strength. Why not add a nutritionist and eating disorder therapist into the mix? Once she began attending sessions, she realized how difficult it truly was going to be. It had taken a lot of time and effort to build her appetite back up without making herself sick, but in the end, it was worth it. She'd gained a lot of her weight back and was healthier. Something that made everyone in her life, including her, very happy.

     "The sessions are going well. I'm... proud," Cara admitted softly, shrugging a little, "of what we've accomplished, you know? I get hungry regularly and can eat food without throwing up. It's nice."

     Rossi beamed over at her, nothing but pride shining in his eyes. "'Atta girl."

     The pair fist-bumped.

     Frank Sinatra's voice played softly as they drove to her apartment. The night was basked in glowing red and yellow lights, twinkling stars looking down at the world. Barely any cars littered the road, and it was serene. There were no cars, buses, bikes, scooters, or skateboards on the road or sidewalks in use, and not a single sign of human life except for them.

     Not a word had been spoken about the interrogation or Cara's panic attack since it concluded. It didn't need to be said that it was a subject to touch on a different day. For now, she needed rest and time to recover. It'd taken a lot out of her physically, mentally, and emotionally. She would have to take it easy the next few days and give herself grace. Something Hotch had reminded her before she and Rossi left the BAU together.

     Initially, Cara was going to leave with Spencer, but after the breakdown, she changed her mind. Spencer was more than all right with the change of plans. He knew just as well as everyone else that the best thing for her was to go with Rossi and be alone for a bit.

     "When do you plan on telling Reid?" Rossi randomly asked. This was his way of preventing Cara from inevitably overthinking today's events. It was also his way of being blatantly nosy.

     Cara placed her soda in the cup holder to the left. "Telling him what?"

     He gave her a look, and she raised an eyebrow in response. Clarification was needed because he could literally be referring to anything. "Telling him how you feel, figlia mia," he elaborated, knowing good and well that she still hadn't told the genius about her feelings for him.

     Ah, hell. This again.

     "How about... never?"

     "Caralyn."

     "David."

     The car stopped at a red light, and they stared at each other. Rossi was wearing an unamused expression while her face was blank. This was a conversation they'd had on numerous occasions, resulting in the blonde falsely promising to tell Spencer and then never doing it. They'd been around this block so many times.

     Why should she potentially ruin such a great friendship over how her heart felt?

     "The truth's going to come out eventually. Don't you want to know if he feels the same way?" Rossi questioned, pressing down on the accelerator when the light turned green.

     Pressing her lips together, she shook her head slowly. "No... No, not really. I have so many parts of me that are already broken. I don't need nor want to add my heart to the list."

     He huffed, puffing out his cheeks. "When will you believe me when I say that the kid is head-over-heels for you?"

     Humming, she pretended to consider how she was going to respond. "When Hell freezes over."