Chapter Thirty Four

Start from the beginning

"I have roughly... but we've only been out there a few times and I never really had anyone to call."

A brief silence fell; I suddenly felt very sad.

"So, how's Lauren? I bet she was mad when you told her that girl had been round..."

"Oh, actually... I haven't told her. I haven't seen her; I went out with Ellie for a while instead."

"Oh really?" Perrie said playfully. "What about promising me you'd call her when I was gone?"

"I know... I wasn't alone though, it's fine. I'm fine."

"I don't think you are." Perrie said quietly.

"I am! I wish Ellie didn't know and I'm dreading what might happen next, but I'm fine."

Perrie giggled softly and said, "Liar!" followed by a yawn.

"Is somebody tired?"

"A bit. I wanna talk to you though."

"I can talk to you tomorrow, and I'll see you on Sunday. You should go to sleep."

"Hmmm... in a bit."

"Okay, so where we going on Sunday?"

"I'm not telling you." Perrie said, her voice perking up. "It's a surprise."

"Oh, come on... a hint?"

"Nope. Sorry babe, I wanna see your face when we go in."

"Go in? So it's inside somewhere..."

Perrie started laughing. "That really doesn't narrow it down though does it babe?"

"Awh Plleeeaassee?"

"Nuh-uh. Hey, what time d'you have work tomorrow?"

"I start at twelve."

"D'you know what I've always wanted to do?"

"What?"

"I've never stayed up all night on the phone with anyone... I really wanna do that."

"Neither have I... You busy tonight?"

"Got rehearsals in the morning... but I can be late." I could almost see her with that cheeky wink. "You up for being my first ever all-night phone date babe?"

"I certainly am. Hang on..." I sat up and put some music on quietly. "There, now I won't get disturbed. What shall we talk about?"

"You."

"We always talk about me." I laughed.

"Well that's because you already know everything about me." Perrie pointed out.

"I'm sure that's not true! I bet there's loads of stuff... tell me what you used to get up to when you were a teenager, things like that, anything."

"I wouldn't know where to start!"

"Just anything, something totally random."

"Oh, actually I've got one!" Perrie squealed. I briefly closed my eyes, picturing the expression, matching how I imagined it to be by her voice. "When I was fourteen..."

We went on like that all night. I gently hushed her once or twice when I heard my family coming to bed before we carried on. It was about half five in the morning when we finally gave in and hung up together, and I didn't care a jot that I would be exhausted in work in a few short hours. As I had many times since meeting Perrie, I went to sleep with a smile on my face.