chapteR 3:evil aunt and wicked uncle

Naomi wrapped little Simba in a green scarf she found in the closet. Simba tried to wiggle his way out of the strange thing around him, but then he realized it was warm and soft. Naomi held him tight and went to find her parents.

It wasn't long before she got lost. 

Naomi looked around the glittering hallway. A city for a servant's quarter and there were none around when she needed help. Naomi felt Simba wiggle in the scarf. She went to the nearest window seat and sat down. She let Simba out of his trap.

Simba took three stumbling steps and fell on his stomach. At a week old, he was doing more the Naomi thought a lion should. Then again, she didn't know much about lions.

Footsteps came from down the hall. Naomi looked. She wished she hadn't left her room. The man was dressed in dark red and used a cane with a skull decorating the top. A large black cat walked besides him, it's red eyes glowing.

Simba turned his blind head towards the man and squeaked. The man stopped and looked at the little lion, then turned his eyes to Naomi. "Who are you?" He demanded.

Naomi stopped herself from imagining who this man could be, or at least she tried to. She quickly thought he was the Nibrue executioner, but shut that thought out. "Well." The man said. "I'm waiting."

"Naomi." Naomi said. Then she remembered she had a last name. "Naomi Nibrue." She watched for a change in the man.

He grimaced. "So you're my brother's child." Her uncle said. "Figures. David always was the scared one." 

Her uncle's cat sniffed Simba, then growled at him. Naomi scooped Simba up in her lap. Her uncle looked at her. "It's a cub who probably won't live long. My big strong panther is hungry. It won't suffer. Let Demon eat it."

Naomi held Simba close. "No." She said. "He's my lion cub and a gift from Grandmother. find something else for your panther to eat." This surprised her. Naomi had never done something like that before.

Her uncle glared at her. His black-gloved hand tapped the skull cane. The hollow eyes of the skull glowed red. "Trad." A new voice said. the skull's eyes stopped glowing.

Naomi turned to the voice. It belonged to an old man with a cane, this time with a unicorn head decoration. The old man's face was wrinkled and worn, he walked stumbling from side to side, but his eyes were clear and kind. "I see you've met your niece." Lord Arthur Nibrue said.

Trad stepped back. "Father." He said. "I didn't see you there."

Lord Arthur took a few more trembling steps forward. "I learned that trick when you were little. Came in handy." He reached out a hand and stroked Simba's little head. "You forget, my son, that little things get bigger and young creatures grow up. If I ever see you trying to feed this lion to your panther, you'll get yourself in even more trouble."

Trad mumbled something that sounded to Naomi like "Not if my plan works." But Lord Arthur seemed like he didn't hear it, so she pretended she didn't ether. It probably was just her imagination. 

Lord Arthur looked into Naomi's eyes. "What I said about little creatures goes for you too. One day, you'll be the Lady of the Nibrue house with all the Nibrue lands following your will. Even your rather rude uncle will have to bow to your command. Better start training for that day." He chuckled. "But don't you worry, I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. And neither is your father."

Trad smiled a sneaky smile. Naomi knew he was up to something. She was sure it wasn't her imagination this time. 

Lord Arthur turned to Trad. "Go find Demon something else to eat." He started to walk away. Naomi didn't want to be left alone with her uncle.

"Wait." She said. "I was trying to find my parents. I want to show them Simba, but I'm lost. Do you know where they are?"

Lord Arthur smiled at her. "They should be in their apartment. Come, I'll show you the way." Naomi wrapped Simba in the scarf and followed her grandfather. When Trad was out of ear-shot, he whispered. "Didn't want to be left alone with him, did you?"

Naomi nodded. "Can't say I blame you." Lord Arthur said. "He gives me the creeps. Where'd that panther get such red eyes."

"Yeah." Naomi said, realizing that her uncle's pet was jest as scary as her uncle and aunt. "I feel like the panther, Demon, doesn't want me here." She told her grandfather, substituting Demon for Trad and Victoria.

"Demon's used to being the only Nibrue pet." Lord Arthur said. "Panthers are territorial. Just you wait til your Simba grows up. Lions can beat panthers any day."

Naomi looked down at little Simba. "Lions can beat panthers any day." Lord Arthur's words echoed in her mind.