"Mimi, how did you get up there?" Carl spoke loudly.

"Come up the side stairs, but be careful because some of the boards are loose and wobbly," she warned.

Slowly they all walked to where she pointed and stepped carefully on the steps that creaked and groaned with their weight.

Finally reaching to the top she put her phone in her backpack and walked around with Carl that held a candle.

"Hey, come check this out," Mimi called them over to a large dusty trunk. Blowing the dust from the top they began to cough and fan the air. Slowly she turned to look at them. She turned to look at the large chest and undid the latch.

Pulling it open as if seeing a mound of gold treasure they began to gasp.

"Holy crap, swords!" Carl leaned over Mimi and quickly pulled one out.

The trunk was filled with them.

Soon Andrew, Mimi, and Jonathan followed and grabbed their own.

With a laugh, Tara stood back and watched as Carl stood with sword extended and pointed it to Andrew.

"On guard!" He shouted.

They began to laugh at the two as they clanked their swords together in a mock sword fight swinging it here and there.

"Luke I am your father,"  Andrew pointed his sword at Carl.

Jonathan crumpled in a heap of laughter as Mimi stood fast and pointed her sword at Jonathan.

"Hands up," with a chuckle Jonathan raised his hands slowly.

Shaking her head laughing, Tara stepped back and looked around.

She stepped further away admiring the statue on the far end of the wall. She stepped further then suddenly a creak and snap under her foot pulled her attention to look down.

Immediately, Mimi and Carl turned and stared at Tara.

"Guys! The floor" Tara turned her head to look at them.

Andrew slowly walked closer as he looked down at the floor beneath Tara's feet. The rotting planks of the wood flooring beneath her were snapping and falling to the ground below.

Fear gripped her heart as she felt it tremble and shake with her weight.

Immediately Andrew raised his hands to calm her and pointed to the beam he could see beneath her.

"Tara, look at me.  There is a beam under your left foot heading towards us. Slowly turn, and walk this way." He urged.

Slowly she did as he said. As if on balance beams from gymnastics class, she straightened her back and breathed slowly not looking down.

The floor crumbled with her steps and popped. Carl gasped.

Nervously they watched her anxiously holding out their hands.

"Just jump," Mimi screamed frantically.

"No, no...dont jump we don't know how strong any of these boards are around us," Andrew breathed nervously looking around him.

"Carl! You, Jonathan and Mimi, step back a bit or try to get downstairs. I am gonna guide Tara over so we can get the hell out of this death trap," He drew in shaky breaths as sweat beaded on his forehead.

Her heart thumped hard in her chest as she was now frozen in the spot.

She began to feel weak with fright as her breathing increased.

Quickly they did as he said and they looked up and stepped away as boards fell beneath them.

It was her and Andrew now. He smiled at her and held out his arms to brace himself when she walked forward. But he could see she was frozen with fright.

"Tara look at me, you can do this," he assured her.

Nodding her head she cracked a soft smile with a muffled sob.

"Of course I can, it's just like being at a circus, we are acrobats on the tight wire," she blurted out as she stepped forward slowly.

Anguished and nervous he nodded. Wanting her to finally get to him.

The soft pop beneath her stiffened her and she stood still her hands clutched her chest. She let out a soft cry as the beam beneath her gave way. The blood-curdling scream from Tara followed by Mimi as she watched in horror as Tara plummeted to the floor before them.

Immediately they surrounded her.

Jonathan quickly pulled out his cellphone and ran out to get more signal to call for help. Mimi hysterically screamed and cried before Carl pulled her close. Andrew terrified, ran to her side and cried out loud as he saw her crumpled body before them.

Unbeknownst to them, she was still falling. The black abyss engulfed her as she continued to fall not able to scream or breathe.

Darkness claimed her.