Chapter 15: Pandas and Strawberries

Gu YuMian had a long dream.

He had returned to his twenties in his last life when he just joined in the rescue of an endangered animal in the local mountain area. It was a juvenile (1 to 2 years) wild giant panda and had not been registered in the national database yet.

By the time he found it, the little one had been tortured to near death by poachers, and her crisscross wounds were bleeding and festering. It was very distrustful and aggressive towards humans.

Everyone knew that pandas were cute and cuddly in appearance but few knew that they had extremely strong biting force. They were not afraid to attack people when frightened. The power erupted in a dying state was even more terrifying.

At that time, the situation was urgent. All the people were called to search the mountain in the middle of the night. All of them took protective equipment and anesthesia needles.

“Although it’s a national treasure, it’s still important to save your own life. We can get there in an hour.”

“Can it last an hour?”

“Who knows? If it can’t survive, we can only say it had a bad life. Ah, the iniquity of poachers.”

“Gu YuMian, what are you doing? It’s going to kill you!”

“Baby, how about calling you Big Wok? After giving birth to your children, we will call them Second Wok and Third Wok.”

“Big Wok, you’re so good. Try to hold your son. I’m not going to get married. I’ve been waiting to help you raise your children all my life.”

“Tomorrow I’ll go to a seminar in another place and bring you a little gift.”

BANG!

A truck running a red light ended everything. Gu YuMian could feel the pain of being crushed all over his body. All his viscera was crushed and it meant that the shadow of death completely covered him now.

His soul floated in the air, watching all the screams, noises, cries.

All of it passed by like pictures, flying like lanterns.

He saw the rapid development of Earth’s science and technology in the past two decades, the deterioration of the environment, the coming of the end, and the evolution of animals.

Then he saw a bunch of flowers in front of his tombstone. The three Woks beside it, sad as they left, with claws constantly wiping away tears.

He wanted to reach out and wipe his tears for his three Woks, but his transparent fingers went through them.

In his dream, he watched Second Wok and Third Wok marry and give birth to children, and then the children continued to get married, generation after generation.

Finally, he saw a baby giant panda walk into a silver-gray starship and set the final destination of the navigation as ‘Takk’.

At the end of a long and chaotic dream, Gu YuMian’s soul slowly lowered from the sky and fell into an embrace.