𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓸𝓷𝓮

IN THEIR YOUTH, the Black brothers were as thick as thieves. The charming young boys had everything they ever could have wanted—riches, fame, looks—they had it all. Sure, their parents weren't the most loving, and maybe the manor was cold and lacking in any semblance of a home, but nonetheless, they had each other and they were as happy as they could've been.

"Pst," Regulus whispered. "Sirius."

"Yeah, Reggie?" An eleven-year-old Sirius whispered back.

They were outside on the roof, laying under the stars. It was the summer before Sirius left for Hogwarts for his first year.

"Are you excited to learn magic?"

"I think I'm more nervous than anything," Sirius answered honestly.

"Nervous? But you're a Black. We don't get nervous."

Sirius let out a sarcastic laugh. "Who told you that nonsense?"

"Bella did!" Sirius hummed in response. He couldn't stand their cousin. She was always the most extreme of them all. Even at eleven, Sirius knew she was headed down a dangerous path, one he didn't want to be a part of, and if he could help it, one Regulus never would be either.

"Well, don't believe everything Bella tells you."

"Why not? Bella's super smart," Regulus said. At the young age of nine, he was still at the phase of hero worshiping anyone who was older than him.

"Because I'm your brother and I say so."

"That's a dumb argument."

"Hush, Reggie. No it's not." Sirius cut him off before he could start to protest. "Now look up there. Which constellation is that?"

Regulus rolled his eyes fondly. "It's your constellation. Sirius I'm never going to learn the stars if all you ever point out is your own."

"Well too bad, all I know is my own. Maybe next summer I'll know more. Cissy said the Astronomy class is fun."

"Maybe I'll wait to learn them then. That way when we're in Slytherin together you can teach me when I need it for school. I might forget if you do it now."

Sirius didn't have the heart to tell him he didn't want to be in Slytherin. He didn't want to be associated with the family tradition of being evil and cunning. He wanted to be brave, and fierce, and good. But Sirius didn't tell him any of this.

"You know you'll always be my brother, right?" Sirius said instead, his gaze drifting to Regulus's star in Leo. He'd lied to Reggie. He knew two constellations—two stars.

"Of course I will. What else would I be?"

"You never know, you could be a duck. Or a dragon."

Regulus let out a peel of laughter. "I can still be your brother if I'm a duck," he laughed.

"Well I'm not sure if I want to be brothers with a duck or a dragon," Sirius teased, reaching over and ruffling Regulus's hair.

Reggie whacked his hand away and gave him a look. "Well, I'd still want to be your brother no matter what you were. Even if you were a goose."

"Well, in that case, I'll be your brother even if you were a duck."

Both boys continued to laugh and tease, more smiles on their faces than ever during the day. It was a happiest memory in the making.

///

Regulus sat at the bottom of the stairs gloomily while Sirius ran around with their parents packing his bags.

"Do you really have to go?" Regulus whined when their parents were out of hearing range.

"Yeah, duck. I do," he replied, ruffling his hair. Unlike normal, Regulus didn't shake him off, just frowned.

"Cissy said it was lonely when Bella and Andy went to Hogwarts. I don't want to be alone."

"You won't be alone, not really. You can play with Kreacher if you get bored," Sirius assured, despite the fact he hated that house elf.

"I don't want to play with Kreacher, I want to play with you," Regulus flopped dramatically against the stairs.

"We can play when I get back, now come on," he assured, not sure if he'd be able to hold himself to that. Not after he doesn't get in Slytherin, something he refused to do. "Mother and father are probably waiting."

Regulus signed pitifully but followed after his older brother to the living room where their parents waited, ready to apparate them to King's Cross Station.

Walburga rolled her eyes and scoffed once she saw them. "Sirius, fix your hair." Before he could do anything, she'd reached out and began trying to flatten the unruly mess.

Once she was satisfied, they each took hold of a parent and in a dizzying blur, they landed in the midst of Muggles.

Orion Black raised his lips in a sneer. "Hurry along now, children. It's awfully tainted here."

"I don't understand how they expect us to come here every year. It's filthy," Walburga added.

Regulus, who only ever wanted to please his family, nodded dutifully in agreement, an act that caused Sirius's heart to drop.

Only two more years, Reggie. You can hold out that long, Sirius thought.

"Now remember, Sirius," his mother started. "I expect you to be on your best behavior and get top marks in your class, you hear? And for the love of Merlin, please stay away from those filthy Mudbloods."

Sirius bristled but nodded, already thinking of all the ways he could defy them. His father gave him a tight pat on the shoulder before both of his parents stepped back.

He was about to turn away and board the train, but before he could, Regulus jumped forward and wrapped him in a hug.

"I'll miss you, goose," Regulus said into his brother's jacket. "Promise to write to me, okay?"

"Of course, Reggie. I promise."

And with one final embrace, Sirius was leaving.