Chapter Five, Part One

Chapter Five

Luke called for a cab so I wouldn’t have to walk back. Then again it could also be for him since he was staying somewhere in the city. I didn’t know where but he rode with me back to the Guild. We sat outside Sword & Arrow for a few moments and I couldn’t help but feel like those seconds were awkward and somewhat tension filled.

“What was it like? Going back there?” he finally asked.

“It was ok at first. But then again the lobby and the stairs were never the problem. It was always that room and when I saw all those little girls in pink leotards and tutus…it just felt wrong.”

 Luke got out of the car, rounding the trunk so he could open my door. I got out and he paid the driver. Guess he wasn’t taking the cab back to where he was staying. It was a good night to walk I guess.

“Do you believe in ghosts?”

Luke crammed his hands in his pockets. “I don’t really know. Do you?”

I looked at the two glass doors that would let me back into the Den of Slayers. Aidan stood next to one, looking up at the sky like he used to. Only this time there were no stars to see just this ugly glow.

“Sometimes.” I looked at Luke. “It’s hard not to when you feel like one.”

“You’re not a ghost, Georgiana.”

I looked at him and gave him that fake smile I’d perfected. “I’ll see you in December.”

He gave me a hug and then left, walking off into the night like he was a ghost himself.

I headed inside, Aidan following after me. Hank sat at the desk, Cosmo magazine spread across the counter in front of him. He looked up and grinned at me like he had a secret he really couldn’t wait to share.

“The wayward orphan returns,” he joked. “I have a message for you.”

“Is it ominous?” I leaned up against the counter, putting my chin in my hand. “You look like you could deliver an ominous message.”

Part of me suspected it was a note from the personnel department, telling me to collect my stuff because I was being dismissed from the Guild for breaking the rules. I know I said I wouldn’t care but now that the possibility of it really happening was staring back at me…

Hank just continued to grin and started shaking his head. “It’s from Gregori.”

“Oh.” I straightened up. “How mad was he?”

“At first he was worried and then he got really pissed. But then he cooled down after some recon teams came in and told him many of the hold outs finally left.”

“So what did he say?”

“He said, and I quote, ‘When she decides to rejoin us, have her meet me at the Tavern.’ I think he’s going to buy you a drink or possibly yell at you in front of everyone so the point gets driven home. I haven’t decided yet which one is the best bet.”

“I thought he might be here, tracking my every move.”

“Nope. That was my job.” I turned and watched Jesse saunter into the lobby. “How ya doin’, kid?” Gregori introduced me to him yesterday and besides James, he was becoming a friendly face. Or at least I hoped he was.

“Oh good lord. Does everyone know?”

“Most of the security office. The Cap was pacing the bullpen there for a while. And don’t worry no one’s going to hold it against you. Normally the recruits wait a week before running off but you’re a rebel. We all expected it.”