Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

“If you two are pregnant, will you name the kid after me?”

I heard Sophie giggle hysterically. My brother wasn’t saying much of anything. He was very mute at the moment, choosing not to voice his opinion. I felt sort of bad for Sophie since if he wasn’t saying much to me, I knew he wasn’t saying anything to her.

Even though it was his idea to have me on the phone waiting with them.

“You know, if you were here, we could’ve turned this into movie night.”

I laughed. “Very nonchalant of you, Soph.”

My brother grunted in agreement and I heard an audible slap. Which means she popped him on the arm.

“Ok. It’s been five minutes.”

“Yesss…” I said. “Who’s looking?”

“If you were here…”

“Soph. Please tell me you two are not sitting in the bedroom with the test in the bathroom.”

“Well…”

“Bast, get off your ass and go look at it.”

“Why me?”

“Because she’s the one who peed on the stick. It’s your turn to do something.”

I heard him huff and a grumbled “fine” as he moved away from the phone.

“Gee…what if it’s positive?”

I thought about that for a second, knowing my brother was probably stalling to look at the stick. That was the thing about me and my brother, we were stallers.

“You can move to New York and live with me.”

“Really?”

“Sure. You can go to college here and intern at the Guild. Sebastis can transfer to the school here. It would work.”

“Huh…”

We sat there for a few minutes, waiting on Sebastis to come back. Finally I got tired of waiting.

“Soph, cover your ears.”

“Ok.”

I waited a second and then, “BAST! JUST LOOK AT THE DAMN THING!”

“Ok, god!” Sophie gave a nervous chuckle. It only took seconds for him to say something else. “It’s negative.”

“Are you sure?” both Sophie and I said.

“Uh, yeah.”

“Are you sure you read the directions right?” I asked him. “Because you know there was that one time where you plugged things in the wrong way and…”

“Yes, thank you, Georgiana.”

“Alright. Well, if you don’t need me for anything else, I’m going to hang up. And remember children, next time wrap it up.”

“Wait,” my brother called. “Are you coming home for Christmas?”

I sighed. “Bast…”

“Come on, Gee. It’s not going to be the same without you,” Sophie whined. “You can always stay with me and my parents.”

“Is that supposed to be a bribe?”

“Um…yes? I’ll make you your favorite pie.”

“Soph…”