'Hi Danny,' she said. 'How are you?'

'How did you know where I lived?'

'I know Ocean.'

'Right.'

They stood staring at each other for a moment, neither of them knowing what to say.

'Do you want to come in?' he asked her.

'If that's okay,' she said.

'Sure.'

He let her in and showed her to the lounge.

'Can I get you anything?' he said. 'A tea or coffee.'

'Tea would be great.'

'Sure. I'll go make tea.'

As he walked past her she noticed he smelled of Jean Paul Gaultier, a change from the stale sweat and booze of the guy she once knew. Despite herself, she was always turned on by the way he used to smell.

He reappeared moments later with the drinks.

'So Ocean is at work today,' he said, 'he won't be back until this evening.'

'I know,' she said, 'that's why I'm here. It's you I came to see.'

His face filled with panic. 'Oh Ali, what we had was great, but I'm with Ocean now. I'm not looking for anything else.'

She realised what he meant. 'No!' she said, 'neither am I.'

'Oh.' He relaxed back into his chair.

'In fact I'm engaged to the most wonderful man.' She held up her hand to show him the ring. 'Actually he works with Ocean at Tramps. That's why I knew you'd be alone. I just wanted to talk to you.'

'What did you want to talk about?'

'Oh nothing really. It was just a bit of a shock when I saw you with Ocean at Pride. We never really got chance to chat then, what with Jack being there and all.'

'I think Jack and I are cool now. I don't expect him to like me or be happy that I'm dating his friend, but I think we've made our peace.'

'I agree. Jack has tried to let go of all his hate, but it's still hard for him seeing you. That's why I didnt feel we could talk in front of him.'

'Does he know what happened between us?'

'No, and I don't want him to.'

'That's understandable. So if you're with someone else, what do you want me to say?'

'I just wanted to see if you were okay. I don't know why, but I really started to care about you.'

'I'm fine,' he said, smiling, 'but I'm glad you came actually. I want to apologize about the way I left you that day.'

'Those two days.'

'Yeah, that wasn't right of me. I was just so fucked up back then. Still am if I'm being honest, but I'm seeing a therapist and Ocean us amazing. He's really helping me and I'm trying to be a better man for him. I just hope you didn't think it was anything to do with you that I left.'

'It didn't make me feel the best. Being trans I'm always wondering if people will accept me as I am I'm still going through my transition, so I'm not happy with how my body looks.'

'Oh my God, Ali. That didn't even occur to me. I was so caught up in my own shit that I never stopped to think how it would make you feel. I hate myself for the things I've done. I've hurt more people than I really even knew.'

'I didn't come to make you feel guilty. I just wanted to clear up what happened between us and hopefully get some closure.'

'Are you happy now, with...'

'Kai. Yeah, I'm really happy. He understands what I'm going through and is always there to support me.'

'I'm so happy you found someone like that, especially after everything I put you through.'

'Thanks.'

'So where do we go from here?' Danny asked.

'What do you mean?'

'I mean like you and me. Do you think we could ever be friends? I only really have Ocean. I could sure use another friend or two.'

'Maybe,' said Ali. 'I just came here to check in on you. Us being friends might be difficult. I'm not sure Jack would ever be able to accept that.

He looked disappointed. He really had missed her friendship. 'I understand,' he said.

'Maybe one day when things have calmed down.'

'I'll look forward to it,' he said.

'Well I should be going.' She stood up to leave.

'Okay,' he said and walked her to the door.

'Ali,' he said.

'Yeah.'

'I'm really glad you came today.'

Author's Note

Hey people. Hope you're enjoying this story so far. If you are, please consider giving me a like or dropping me a comment. They really do make my day xxx