Chapter Twenty-Seven - Lies and Pancakes

Start from the beginning

She glanced in the bowl, it was empty and her eyes jumped to Thor then Loki. The boy was wrapped in the cape, leaning against Thor. Annie had looked at him in time to see his eyes look at the bowl before looking up to her. There was a subtle shift in his shoulders, a pulling back, closer to Thor as if seeking protection. Annie knew he still didn't believe he wouldn't be punished for eating.

Moving with careful motions Annie opened the cereal box, "I guess you checked that there were none in the bed?"

Thor nodded, "none at all. I even checked twice. Including the covers and even on the floor. I didn't press for an answer."

There was an odd hitch in Thor's voice and Annie glanced at him as she counted out another ten Cheerios into her hand. "Did something happen last night besides the nightmare?"

Looking down at Loki's head resting against him Thor felt the odd sense of guilt and perhaps even some shame. "I think I pressed him too hard to give me an answer. He didn't speak yet still gave me one he knew I wanted." Thor pulled in a breath and admitted to himself that he did feel shame. "The first lie told in this form and I forced him to it." A look of sorrowfulness came over his face. "That means something to me that I won't ever forget."

Annie studied Thor. Well crap. There's a whole hell of a lot more going on here than I know about. Duh, idiot. Everything going on here is more than you know about. Better start asking questions. But first things first.

"Hey Loki, great job on eating your Cheerios." She brought her hand over to the bowl. "Since you did so well, here are ten more." She counted each one out loud as she dropped them into the bowl, Loki watched each one fall. When she was done his eyes came up to meet hers and she studied them, looking to see what he was thinking. What's he telling me? Does he believe me? Should I repeat that those are his? Should I tell him- What? What should I tell a kid who has made an effort to trust me?

"Thank you for trusting me. For trusting us." Annie used her finger to motion between herself and Thor. "I know it wasn't easy so thank you. We want you to know we won't hurt you. And that's still your food, no ones going to steal it from you. You can eat it all and we'll give you more."

She slid the bowl back towards him and Thor picked it up, Loki's eyes locked on it. Thor turned and took the boy to the couch and settled him on it, carefully tucking several pillows around him to make sure he had something to lean on and not fall over in case he went back to sleep. Once he was sure Loki was comfortable, Thor came back over where Annie was making coffee. She had two mugs out along with a bowl of sugar and several flavors of coffee creamer.

She held up the coffee pot and Thor nodded so she poured. "Fix it how you like it." Grabbing a couple spoons she asked, "Last night? Want to tell me about it?"

Thor shook his head, "I think it would take more time than you have available this morning. Just know the night was, much too long. Once he woke, neither of us went back to sleep." Thor stirred his coffee, looking down at it as if he expected to read answers in the black liquid.

What do I do? These guys need me. I mean really need me. This is their first day here and I can't just leave them alone. I don't even have any food prepared for them. Loki needs a bath. Thor needs a nap. Annie sighed and grabbed her phone from the counter near the coffee machine. Checking the time she saw it was twenty after six, perfect timing. Leaning back against the counter she made a call. The phone answered after the second ring.

"What?" The voice obviously belonged to a young white male and was snappy and annoyed.

Annie rolled her eyes. "Well good morning to you too, Kevin. That's not a very professional way to answer your phone."