I can't help but feel her pain, she is hiding it well, but as someone who has considered the same thing, I know the pain and numbers one feels in order to be able to do that. 

"You killed yourself?" Elena asks shocked.

"Klaus needed a human doppelganger. As a vampire, I was no longer any use to him."

"But it didn't work?"

Katherine's eyes roll to the back of her head, "I underestimated his peered for vengeance but leaving with a suitcase is better than dying so you can have your blood spilt over some silly little rock."

I let out a deep sigh, and my eyes fall to the floor, "Are you okay Keira?" Katherine asks, "You don't look so good." 

My eyes dart towards hers, "Fan freaking tastic." 

"You don't have to worry, mini-me, you already took your opportunity to get out of playing sacrificial lamb, maybe you should convince your dear sister to be smart and do the same." My stomach twists and a low growl escapes my throat, "What? You don't want to be the one to do it?" She laughs. "There is another way out Elena, you don't have to die." She takes her nail and slits her wrist, "Better hurry" she says as she starts to heal, "Your opportunity going, going, and gone." She taunts. 

"I made another choice." 

"Rose and Trevor spent the last 500 years running because you used them. Trevor just got killed." Elena scoffs in disgust. 

Katherine clicks her tongue, "I never thought he would last for that long"

"You don't even care that you ruined their lives." 

"I was looking out for myself, Elena. I will always look out for myself. If you're smart, you'll do the same."

I roll my eyes before looking at my sister, "She has a point, Elena." 

Elena scoffs, "How much of your little story is true?" 

"I have no reason to lie, Elena. I have no reason to do anything but sit here reading and to rot."

"Okay, assuming it's even partially true, that's the reason why you came back isn't it? Because you wanted to be the one to hand me over to Klaus?"

Katherine shrugs, "500 years in the run, I figured maybe he'd be willing to strike a deal."

"So you got Mason Lockwood to find you the moonstone."

"Right again."

"What else do you need to break the curse." Elena questions.

"Hmm, look who is getting smarter, if I didn't know any better I'd say you were Keira." 

"It's not just me or the stone, is it? Otherwise that you'd be no reason to trigger Tyler Lockwood's werewolf curse."

"Witches and their spells: so many ingredients, so many people to sacrifice."

"So you need a werewolf." I state.

Katherine looks towards me, "Believe it or not, they're hard to come by."

"What else?" I ask.

"A witch to do the spell. Mine bailed but Bonnie will do just fine."

"Who's bonnie?" I look towards Elena.

"Keeping your twin sister in the dark about your witchy best friend, Elena? Shame on you." Katherine taunts. 

Elena ignores her, "What else?"

"A vampire."

A slight shocked expression along with disgust pulls upon Elena's face, "Caroline."

"It could have been anyone I suppose but i like the poetry of Caroline."

I cross my arms across my chest and look at my ancestor with disgust, "God, you're sick."

"You'll love me once you get to know me, Keira." 

"I doubt that." I scoff.

Elena gestures between herself and I, "So you were gonna just hand us all over to be killed?" 

"Everyone bar Keira, I thought she was still tucked away safe in New Orleans, and better you die than her and I." Katherine says.

"How do you know so much about me?" 

"I told you, I know a lot of things," she says as she disappears into the tomb.

I hear footsteps coming towards us, "Elena, Keira." Stefan comes into view.

"Stefan, what are you doing here?" Elena asks. 

"I could ask you the same question." He looks annoyed. 

Elena rolls her eyes, "Caroline told you." 

"Listen to me, whatever she said to you is a lie. Do not listen to her. She's a liar, Elena.

I raise my hand slightly, "If I may butt in," My eyes roll and I cross my arms firmly across my chest, "I don't think she's lying." 

Stefan glares at me, before softening his face and looking towards Elena, "You don't have to worry, I'm not gonna let anything happen to you."

Elena throws her arms by her side like a toddler having a tantrum, "That's the problem, you won't but you'll die trying. How's that any better?"

Katherine comes back into view of the three of us, "There is nothing you can do, Stefan, I haven't even told you the best part of the story." Katherine smirks. She tells us how when Klaus found out what she had done he hunted down her entire family and slaughtered them. Elena looks as though all of the blood drained out of her body.

"No, look at me. No, do not listen to her, okay?" Stefan says grabbing her cheeks trying to get her to focus on him. 

Katherine's eyes roll harder than ever before, "Always the protector but you must realize that she's doomed. There's nothing you can do to stop it unless of course, you have this" She holds up the moonstone with a smirk that says "I win." dragged across her face that looks exactly like mine.

"What?" Elena asks.

"Oh no, there it is. It's the ultimate lie, isn't it? You spun this whole thing so that we would have to get the stone from you, didn't you?" Stefan asks.

"I didn't spin anything, Stefan, It's the truth." 

"No, let me guess. You want to trade that stone for your freedom, you manipulative, psychotic bitch."

"Wouldn't you do the same thing in her situation?" I retort, surprising myself that the words left my mouth. 

Katherine lets out a loud chuckle, "My freedom? That's where you're wrong, Stefan. I don't want my freedom because when Klaus shows up to kill us all and he will, I'll be in the tomb, where no vampire will enter because they can't get out. I'll be the safest psychotic bitch in town"

**********