Part 1

'What a strange girl.'

That was his first thought about her. And why wouldn't it be? Striking blue hair, clean white dress...walking on the railroad tracks he had to pass before he went to school.

She glanced behind at him then, as if noticing someone was staring at her for the first time.

Then she fell off the metal siding.

Without hesitation, he abandoned his belongings and rushed to her.

"Oof..."

"Are you okay?"

"Yes..." then she looked at him as if he was some kind of weird exotic creature captured in a zoo.

Len noticed her eyes seemed to match her hair.

'Pretty.'

The thought slipped past him, and he found himself blushing as if he said it out loud.

She took his outstretched hand and stood herself up.

"Huh," she remarked, looking at him.

He must've been looking at her strangely, because she then she felt the need to explain.

"You remind me of someone. He looks kind of like you, and he has a twin."

"I don't have any siblings."

"I know," she looked down at her bare feet. "It's impossible. But you look so much like him."

They stared at each other. Len felt uncomfortable, the way her turquoise eyes never left his.

"Ah, okay then. You appear to be fine. Sorry. I have to go to school now."

The words came out of his mouth, but they didn't register until they saw the look on her face. School. That was right; he needed to get to school. If he didn't, his parents would punish him. After all, he was class president and would graduate from high school to study in a medical college. Then he'd be a doctor.

His entire future was already planned.

He made a move to turn away, but the girl grabbed his sleeve.

"Wait."

Strangely enough, even though he could easily shake out of her hold, he turned around.

"What?"

"Stay with me."

"Huh?"

Then she did it again, that thing where she stared at him straight on. "Stay with me. For today."

"I can't ditch school."

"One day won't make a difference." Her fingers slowly loosened from his shoulder.

"Please?"

Then Len realized with stunning clarity:

He wanted to stay with this girl, wanted to follow her and let her show him things. He knew somewhere deep down that this girl was going to change him, change his world.

He said the only thing he could.

"Yes."