The Weapon [A Mandalorian Drabble]

On the planet Sorgan, an isolated village of krill farmers was alive with activity. Many of the men and women were busy harvesting the blue krill, which had been flourishing ever since they had fended off the Klatooinian raiders that had been stealing their harvest. They could relax now, cutting down on their labor and the amount they fished while still getting by with plenty. It was better for the environment and better for the village, as tensions of making ends meet had vanished, and family and friends were now spending much more time together.

Omera's job today was helping sort through the krill. Sometimes they fished up sick or dying krill that couldn't be consumed or sold. Some krill pulled were too young and got thrown back to grow. After that, they were either sorted into exports, sold to the cooks, or processed in the smoke house. It wasn't very interesting work, but it was so much more enjoyable now that Omera didn't have to fear an attack on the village.

"Mom! Mom!" Omera's dark brown eyes broke from the crustaceans on the stone slab to see her daughter running towards her, smiling widely. "Mom! The ship! It's the Mandalorian!"

Omera's heart fluttered for a moment. She now noticed the roar of the engine above as she looked to the sky, where the Razor Crest was coming in for landing on the outskirts of the village. The Mandalorian. Almost everyone dropped their work at once. What an honor, their hero dropping in to visit them.

"Do you think he's brought the Child?" Omera's daughter inquired eagerly, practically bouncing up and down.

"I'm certain he has."

"Do you think he'll let him play with us again?"

"I don't see why not."

"Can we invite them to dinner tonight, mom?"

"Of course we can." Omera smiled at her daughter, wiping her hands across her clothes to dry them off. The village now buzzed loudly with chatter, the krill now forgotten as people looked curiously over to the ship. What was he doing, coming here out of the blue?

One individual that wasn't waiting to find out was Carasynthia Dune. One glance to the sky from the watchtower and she knew who was about to land. She descended quickly, making her way to the outskirts of the village where Din had landed. She was almost to the ship when the entrance ramp descended and the Mandalorian began towards her, the Child in tow inside his metal pod.

"Hey, stranger. It's been a minute." Cara smiled as Din stopped in front of her. She held out her arm, her hand angled towards Din's chest. He returned the gesture, their hands clasping together in a friendly embrace, before falling back to their sides. "Last time I saw you, you left me and Karga standing in the middle of nowhere on Nevarro. Come to make sure I made it home?" Cara teased light-heartedly as she began back towards the village. "So sweet."

Din walked quickly after her. He prayed she could perceive the worry on his face through the helmet as he looked at her. "I need your help."

Cara looked at Din in surprise, their eyes locking through the tinted glass for a moment. She and Din hadn't known each other for much longer than four months, and they spent much of that time in completely different systems with completely different priorities and concerns. Still, Din and Cara had a real connection, and she knew him well enough to know that the sense of urgency in his voice meant something truly serious must have happened.

She slowed to stop, not sure if this information needed the entire village as an audience. "What happened?"

"It's a long story we don't have time for so I'll make it short. About a month after we took down those Imperials on Nevarro, I met this woman on Tulth that got along really well with the kid. When I realized she was living on the streets, I offered her to come with me as part of my crew to find wherever the kid comes from." Din explained.