Now I am in a sports bra, so don't make it weird.

I watch SueEllen pop an eye open as she hears my rustling about, and she rolls her eyes at me. 

"Come on, Sue, like you aren't hot. Even Satan's sweating his balls off."

Her eyes snap over to Alan, who's too busy playing with his dinos and trucks to pay attention to us. 

"Stop being so vulgar," she grumbles, but nevertheless, her shirt comes off too, but she just lets it drop next to her. "That does feel better."

I snort, closing my eyes. "I know. I'm a genius. Don't forget to put on sunscreen."

I can practically hear her rolling her eyes. "Okay, Mom." I hear the door open and close, her feet padding softly on the cement patio as she comes back with sunscreen in her hand. "You're certainly in a good mood today. What's with you?"

I shrug, eyes still closed. "Don't know. Sun's out, not a cloud in the sky, even though you could fry an egg on the sidewalk. I'm here with my bestie and her family, not thousands of miles away. I just feel good."

"Well... good. I'm glad you're feeling like your old self." 

"Me too, Sue. Me too."

She sprays herself down, and then before I even know what's going on, the cold sunscreen mists over me too. 

I sputter through a laugh, "A warning would have been nice."

"Eh." she shrugs. "Stand up. Let me get your backside. Alan baby," she calls, and of course, he comes running. 

"Yeah mama?" 

"Let me put some sunscreen on ya."

"Yes mama."

She does him before finishing me, and then she hands the bottle to me to get her backside. 

The low rumble of an engine and the crackle of tires on gravel perks my attention, and I turn my head to see who's coming up the drive. It's Tommy's truck. Alan starts running up to it, slowing down and coming to a stop a few feet away from it as it parks. Tommy swings out of the truck and scoops Alan over his shoulder, bucking him around a little. 

"Howdy buckaroo," he giggles, and Alan shrieks in laugher. 

My heart warms upon seeing this, and a small part of me wants to switch places with SueEllen out of pure jealousy. 

"Daddy, you're so sweaty!" Alan complains, but Tommy only laughs. 

Tommy broncs around over to SueEllen with Alan still over his shoulder, leans down, and gives her a peck on the forehead. 

"Hey there, Mama. Good day?" He swings Alan off of his shoulder and places him on Sue's lap. 

Sue nods and tells him about the kids' appointment as he walks over to greet me with a peck on the cheek. "Hey, Jo."

I smile up at the man, shading my eyes with my hand. "Hi, Tommy."

He smiles back before turning to Sue. "I'm happy they're doing well. You're doing a good job, Sue baby."

"We're doing a good job," Sue corrects, and I have to look away because the looks they're giving each other are not meant for my eyes. 

I sigh inwardly, reminding myself not to be jealous of my two best friends. 

It's not their fault you haven't found your person yet.

I praise Jesus when I hear another truck grumble up the drive behind Tommy's, and I see a silver 2009 F-150.