“Y’know, you were wearing the same thing when we met at the café”

“You remember what I was wearing?” I said with a smirk. “If I didn’t know better, I’d think you liked me, Kadence,” I said with a wink. She just rolled her eyes.

“You look cute today,” I said smiling at her.

“Well, I try,” she replied as we walked towards the elevator.

KADENCE PETROV

“Sometimes I feel I've got to,

Run away I've got to, 

Get away from the pain that you drive into the heart of me.

The love we share,

Seems to go nowhere, 

And I've lost my light; for I toss and turn I can't sleep at night!”

Tainted Love by Soft Cell blared as me and Carter drove to school. It was about five miles away and it didn’t take long to get there. Carter looked over to me, smiling through his sunglasses. We both began to sing along to the end of the song as we drove into the school’s parking lot.

“Don't touch me please, I cannot stand the way you TEASE!” Carter and I sang, putting extra emphasis on tease. We grinned at each other. Carter and I had become really close over the summer. We still had sex ever so often but it wasn’t about that anymore. We were sincerely friends, and I liked having him around. I slipped my bag over my shoulder and climbed out of the car. Immediately, I spotted familiar faces all around me. All my friends from last year were still here. It was finally senior year and I was so fucking happy. My birthday was in about two weeks and I would finally be eighteen. 

I began to walk and Carter wrapped an arm around me shoulder. 

“What class do you have first?”

“Um,” I began as I looked over my schedule. 

“English, my favorite. How about you?”

“Me too,” he said grinning and comparing our schedules. 

“But we only have english and art together,” he said with a frown. He immediately smiled after; “But we can hang out during lunch”

I laughed and gave him a smile. I spotted someone waving and approaching Carter and I. 

“Kade! It’s me, Lily!” she screamed.

“Lily? Woah, you got so much taller!” I said giving her a hug.

“I know! That growth spurt finally kicked in,” she said with a smile. Her eyes traveled over to Carter and went wide.

“And who is this delicious piece of eye candy, Kadence?”

I laughed and Carter just winked and put an arm around my waist.

“This is Carter. He moved in next door to me mid-summer”

“No way! That’s so cool! Are you guys like, going out?” she asked hoping up and down. Lily had always been the hyper kind. She’s had the same boyfriend for two years, and they really are happy together. Lily’s pretty, too. She’s got long blondish-brown hair and pretty blue eyes.

Carter tightened his grip around my waist. “Yes,” he said with smile. I glared at him but he only smiled.

“Oh my god, Kade! You really know how to pick ‘em!”

“We’re not together, he was kidding,” I said glancing back at Car. He had a frown on his face but he brushed it off quickly.

“At least not yet, we’re not,” he said winking in Lily’s direction.

“Awhhhhh!” she drawled on. I rolled my eyes but smiled at her none the less. Lily and I had been friends since fifth grade. As Lily continued talking about how cute Carter and me would be together, Alan, Lily’s boyfriend wrapped his arm around her waist and gave her a big kiss. 

“Hey baby,” he said with a smile and then turned to me.

“Hey Kade. And hi, I’m Alan,” he said sticking his hand out to Carter.

“Carter,” he replied shaking Alan’s hand.

“What do you guys have first period?” Alan asked.

“I have History,” Lily said with a frown.

“I have english,” Alan said.

“So do Kade and I,” Carter replied.

“I’m going to walk Lily to class so I’ll see you guys there, okay?”

“Yeah. See ya’ later, Lily!” I said with a smile.

“Bye!” she waved as she walked away with Alan.

“Come on let’s go,” Carter said pulling his arm tighter around my waist and walking towards the school’s entrance.

“Why did you say we were together?” I asked with a smirk.

He paused for a moment, as if trying to come up with an acceptable answer. Finally he said, “For a laugh, that’s all. I just wanted to see what you would say,” he said with a shrug. I rolled my eyes as we walked into class. So typical.

It was going to be a long day.