Chapter LXV - The Life of the Party

Mulai dari awal

Suddenly Bishop's legs felt heavy. This was a bad idea. Then again, if she knew, it would be just as bad when she returned. If she returned.

Fuck, he was paranoid. Their stay in Solitude was so grating to him. The moments that they spent completely alone were the only time he could actually relax.

But what other reason would there be for her looking so upset? She's been acting strange before too. Maybe she's already decided that she wanted to know the truth, despite her assurances to wait for Bishop to tell her himself.

But it wasn't the truth! Whatever version the paladin wanted to feed her, it was definitely worse than the truth.

His feet carried him forward reluctantly until the paladin noticed him.

A deep scowl appeared on his face immediately.

...

She turned around with curiosity and a doubtful expression on her face as she wondered what Casavir's scowl could mean.

"Bishop?!"

It's not that it didn't cross her mind when she saw the paladin's frown, but it was still so shocking to see him there.

And what was he wearing?!

Did he actually buy fancy clothes? They were almost all black, of course, with only some white embroidery on the sides of the neckline and a few visible parts of white undershirt. He did look kind of good in them though, his rugged looks created a strangely alluring contrast to the neat garment.

She gave him a half-shocked and half-amused smile.

Something like relief seemed to flash across his face, before it was all too soon replaced by the familiar smug smirk.

"You don't mind if I cut in, do you sweetness?"

Casavir suddenly seemed somehow even taller than before as he straightened his shoulders exaggeratedly and placed himself right in front of Bishop. "What are you doing here?!" he growled at him from behind gritted teeth furiously.

"I'm here to rescue a flustered paladin from temptation," Bishop smirked mockingly before his eyes darted to Aeyrin who gave him an admonishing look in turn.

"What are you doing here? And your clothes..." she looked him over again. It made her feel somewhat better about her previous insecurity back at the store. It definitely didn't look like him either, but there was something strangely attractive about him in that get-up.

"Ugh. Don't remind me, princess. They got prissy with me at the entrance, stupid nobles..." Bishop grumbled in annoyance, rolling his eyes.

"They don't allow your kind in," Casavir growled again while his scowl deepened, as if it were even possible.

"Aww... but you invited me, tin-head," Bishop chuckled at him maliciously.

There was a crowd forming around them again, although the people tried to seem casual and inconspicuous. Apparently the men's tense stance and occasional raised voice attracted attention from the curious nobles.

"Alright, that's enough, you two," Aeyrin forced herself between the two men, trying to diffuse the situation. With her back to Bishop, her arms gestured soothingly at the fuming paladin. Now he must have definitely been regretting inviting her.

She felt Bishop's arm snake around her waist before he yanked her back onto his chest with another smirk escaping his lips.

"Yeah, I've had about enough too. Let's go have some fun at this thing, ladyship."