Chapter 3: Off to Town

As we drove down the road I noticed fires all around us. I was starting to get worried that there was nothing left of the town. As we got closer I noticed several house on fire or smoldering from where a fire had been.

As we approach the funeral home we noticed that it was just starting to catch fire. We hop out of the car and run to the doors. They are locked when we try to open them. We search the parking lot and see the car that belongs to the Smith family, who own the funeral home.

We start banging on the doors as we see the fire spreading out back. All of a sudden we hear a giant boom and the ground shakes a little. We decide to back up to our car. When we do we can see through the glass doors of the funeral home the Smiths running up to them. Then out of nowhere the whole building explodes with the Smiths inside.

I fall to the ground and start crying. That is five people in total that I have seen die today, all because of the blast. After all my tears have fallen, I slowly get up.

"We need to gather everyone together and have a meeting. We need to see who all is left."

"Alright," David said. "Anne and me will go north to south, you two go east to west. Have everyone meet at the high school. It looks like it is still in one piece."

*************

After thirty minutes of getting everyone together we were all in front of the high school. Altogether there were twelve people. Me, Brett, Anne, David, Jason Marrow and his parents Frank and Jessica Marrow, Mary Balvoka, the Johnsons and the Perrettis.

We had searched the whole town and most of the outskirts of town. And out of two thousand, two hundred and ninety six people only twelve were left. This made me really sad. I knew a lot of people in town that didn’t make it. All my friends will never see the light of day again.

“Are you sure this is everyone?” I ask out loud to no one in particular.

“Yeah, we checked everywhere.” Brett answered.

I look around at everyone we had gathered. “I think we need to go to D.C. and talk to the government to find out what is going on. I have tried calling police, fire departments and even homeland security. But the phone lines are down and the Internet is down. The power keeps flickering so I don’t think that it will last too long, I’m sure that the power plants are having as much trouble as we are. We need to go up there and see what they are going to do about this.”

“It is a long journey, how are we going to make it and survive?” Mary Asked.

“We still have the cars. We will make it. By any means necessary!” I replied.

“Okay we need to work together if we are going to make it though. We need to start gathering supplies. Mary, the Johnsons, and the Perrettis will gather food and bottles of water. The Marrows will find gas cans to store extra gas. Myself, Helen and the Bishops will find a couple of cars that we can take.”

And with that everyone scattered to do his or her job.