Chapter 2: Finding the Kids

We run back through the forest towards our house. About halfway there we run into David.

"David, there you are. We are going to search the woods for the boys." Anne called to him. He waved at us and then jogged over.

"Have you checked the tree fort yet?" He asked.

"No, we were coming to get you so we haven't checked anywhere." Brett said. "Let's go check the fort first."

We ran through the woods careful not to get split up or get caught in the fires. Finally we burst into the clearing where the tree fort was. It was a pretty clear opening with a single massive tree in the middle. That is where my husband and David had built our kids a good size fort in the tree. The only problem is the tree was surrounded by fire.

As we got closer I prayed to God that the boys had not come to the fort to hide from us like they have done before when they don't want to stop playing. We get as close to the tree as possible straining to look up in the fort for the boys.

All of a sudden I hear a holler for help. It sounded just like James. "James is that you?" I scream at the tree.

"Mom? Mom help us! We are stuck up here..." I hear him pause to cough. "It's me, Lucas, and Jacob."

"James, honey just hold on. Your dad and Mr. Bishop are going to come and get you. They are looking for a way up now!"

"Okay. Jacob and Lucas are lying down. I don't think they are awake."

"Can you hear or see them breathing?"

"I can't see them breathing but they are coughing every now and then."

"Okay honey, that's good. Your dad will be up in just a second."

Just the David and Brett found a way through the fire and up the ladder. Brett climbed up the ladder to get to the boys while David stayed on the ground so he could get the boys down. As I watch they slowly lower Lucas down. David was bringing him out of the fire when Brett came down with Jacob. He ran across the opening in the fire and later him in the grass.

Then he turned around and ran right back up the ladder, but as he was going up the ladder I heard a loud crack noise. Suddenly the floor of the fort fell out and James went down with it. Brett ran over to him having to fight through the flames. After what seemed to be an eternity he came out of the fire with James in his arms. He ran over to where the other boys were laid down and laid James with them.

Anne and I ran over there as fast as our legs could carry us. When we got there David was standing pacing.

"David why aren't you over there with Jacob" Anne asked almost in tears.

"He, he didn't make it. I'm sorry I failed you. I tried everything but the smoke must have gotten to him before we did." He fell onto the ground and started to cry. Anne fell beside him and joined him in crying.

I looked over at Brett hopeful that James and Lucas were still with us. He looked me straight in the eyes and said, "Lucas is gone, but James has something he wants to tell you."

I can't catch me breath for a second knowing that one of my boys was already dead. When I caught my breath I walked over to where James was laying and knelt down beside him. "What was it you wanted to tell me honey?"

"Mom, I just wanted to tell you I'm sorry about all this. It's my fault. I told Lucas and Jacob that we should run and hide so we could keep playing." He starts coughing and I notice that he is coughing up blood.

"Hey, it's not your fault. You didn't know what was happening. I love you!"

"I love you to mom." And with that he stopped breathing.

And when that happened I broke down crying. I had just lost both of my sons. Brett stooped down beside me and embraced me trying to give comfort.

"Let's take them back to the house and then we will figure out what to do from there. We will have to go into town to see if anyone can help us" David said.

"Okay. Our house is closer to town so let's go there." Brett said.

So we slowly made our way back to our house. Brett and David were carrying the boys. We got there we put them down in the cellar so no animals would disturb them. Then we headed out for town in our SUV.