Chapter 2: Kahunas

6 years had gone by since Koji was brought to Guzma by total surprise. Despite being a bit slow learning how to raise a child of his own, Guzma turned out to be a pretty decent father. Not that he'd completely admit it.

Ever since visiting Professor Kukui and his own family, Koji had developed a sibling-like bond with his daughter, Luana. She was like the big sister he never had, and she acted just as such.

It ended up being a common trip almost daily for either Guzma, Kukui, or Burnet to bring the two children to hang out and play.

Luana dashed into Po Town ahead of her father, who wasn't too worried about her wandering off too far now that they were within the abandoned city's walls. Especially with Team Skull mostly disbanded, the old crumbling city was a lot safer. Not any cleaner but none of the grunts were as troublesome anymore. Some who remained in Po Town with Guzma and Plumeria noticed the professor and his youngest child walking by and even greeted them with a friendly wave.

On the porch of the Shady House was Koji, sitting on the back of Nanu's Persian, who didn't seem to mind the boy bounding on her back. She slept soundly with her front legs dangling over the steps while the boy scratched her head and played with her ears. They twitched at the slightest touch from the child's little fingers.

"Koji! Look what I got today!" Luana waved to her young friend, grabbing him by the arm and nearly tearing him off the Pokémon. She pointed to a smaller Pokemon that flew around her, a little black and white bird with red markings atop its head.

Koji slipped off Persian, his shaggy black hair getting in his face until brushing it back. He beamed seeing the little Pikipek land on Luana's arm that she held out. It hopped up to her shoulder and rubbed its face against her cheek. "Woah! What kind of Pokémon is that?" He asked curiously.

"It's a Pikipek! Isn't he the coolest? He and I are gonna do the island challenges together when I turn 11 this year." Luana scratched the Pikipek's head, giggling to it grabbing a strand of her hair in its beak playfully.

Finally appearing was Kukui, bringing a hand out of one of his lab coat pockets to give a wave to Nanu, who stood up and approached the young man with a gentle smile.

"About time you two showed up. I wasn't sure how much longer Persian was gonna tolerate Koji riding on her back." The Kahuna shook the Professor's hand, letting out a hefty chuckle.

Kukui nodded, "I'd hate to see what she'd do had we gotten here any later. I had promised Luana that I'd help her catch her first Pokémon, so we did that on our way here."

"I can see that." Nanu glanced at Koji and hid his hands in his jean pockets, smirking to the professor, "Well, now that you're here, I'm gonna head back to the station."

"Where's Guzma?" Kukui looked around the yard for his old friend, expecting him to be nearby since his son was outside.

Nanu pointed above his head to the balcony; "He's napping. Koji woke him up super early this morning and made him play outside with him until a couple of hours ago. I swear- that kid's got unlimited energy. Hopefully, Luana will be able to help him burn enough of it off so he can also take a nap."

Kukui laughed, looking over to see his daughter slightly bending down to let Koji pet the little Pikipek on her shoulder. "You seem to really know your stuff, huh, kahuna?"

"You're the one with kids, you know far more than I do. I never got that chance so I only know what I learned from helping out Acerola. I'm no expert on children by any means." Nanu responded with a slight change in tone, a bit gruffer than how he spoke earlier and facing away from Kukui.