-Chapter Four-

For the next couple days you avoid George completely. The only time you two speak is when he asks you to pass the sausages at breakfast.

Everyone keeps asking you if you broke up or something. You keep telling them "I'm not really in the mood to talk about it. Sorry."

Before you know it was Christmas. You went home to your family instead of going to the Burrow. Molly heard what happened and sent you an owl saying how upset she was with George, not knowing it was a prank.

During the holidays you were sent gifts from Fred, Angelina and a good friend from quidditch . Fred sent you a card with some chocolates, Angelina sent a pair of fuzzy socks with some sweets and you got a braided bracelet from your quidditch friend.

George sends you a letter on the day before you head back to Hogwarts. It read:

Y/n,
I know you probably don't want to talk to me, but I really need to talk to you. We need to sort this out. Your my best friend and all this time has been horrible without you. Meet me on the astronomy tower after dinner on our first night back. If you don't come, I'll understand. Also I have something for you. I hope you had a good Christmas.
- George

"We do need to talk." you say to yourself.

...

  The next day, you ate dinner with Fred and Angelina. You all talk about the holidays and how fun it was. The topic of you and George never comes up while eating. Once your done and Dumbledore dismisses you to bed, you run upstairs to put on sweatpants and a hoodie. You get your slippers on and put on a bit of mascara.

You try and sneak down the hallways so Filch doesn't catch you. Good thing you and the Weasley twins are close, so you know all the hidden passageways. You take the one behind the statue of the hippogriff. You take the winding secret staircase up to the astronomy tower. Once you get there, you see George leaning against the railing. He looked more sad than you had ever seen him. Besides perhaps when you first saw him after what happened. He spoke first. "Hey."

"Hi." You reply, looking down.

He walks up to you and you lock eyes. He hands you a lumpy brown package. "My mom made you a scarf and wanted me to give it to you."

"I'm sure it's lovely. Tell her I say thanks." You hold it behind your back and rock back and forth on your heels.

"Listen, we need to talk...um. What happened was Kelly need the notes from Potions since she missed the day before because her grandma passed so McGonagall her the day off  and I told her she could come to my dorm and I'd give them to her. Then she ya know.. kissed me and I kissed her back. I told her about the prank. I wasn't thinking. It's all my fault. I ruined it. But what I don't understand why your so upset about it. I mean we were only fake dating."

You look down. Your lip starts to quiver.

"Are you blind?" You say. "..or maybe I'm just not being obvious.."

George has a flash of realization on his face.

"Oh."

"Yeah. I like you George. That's why I cried when I saw you and Kelly. That's why whenever you kissed me I smiled afterwards. Heck, I get butterflies every time I see you." You say. "George, why did you really choose me?"

"I- I told you. Because your my best friend, y/n and you know, people would believe it."

"Listen I know you don't like be back and that's...fine. I should go to bed I have a lot on my mind. Goodnight, George. I'll talk to you tomorrow."

"Y/n wait! I-"

But you had already left.

You could barely sleep that night. You tried to piece everything together. Think over everything that has happened. You go and sit in the windowsill and look up at the moon. The stars always reminded you of him. "I should have let him talk more." You think to yourself. After reading a bit, you decide to go to sleep.

You have a interesting dream.
You and George are at the ball. The two of you are dancing to music being conducted by Professor Flitwick. There are others dancing too. Angelina and Fred, Hermione and Ron, Draco and Pansy and many others. After dancing for a bit, George leads you off the dance floor and brings you to the courtyard. You hear the blocked out music from the Great Hall and the two of you dance alone. He spins and twirls you. And that's when it hits you.
You wake up as soon as possible. You jolt up and look at your alarm clock, regretting leaving that dream. The ball was tomorrow.
You get up and pull your dress out from under your bed. You open the big, long box and inside was a lavender coloured dress with a sparkly overlay. The bottom was flowy and the belt band was thick. The neck line was wide, but not too revealing. "How could I forget!" You whisper to yourself.
It was only 5am so you decide to get some more sleep in, after all, tomorrow was a big day.