Chapter 19: The Admiral

Orona's mind swam in the cloud of confusion that hung heavy over her head like a thunderstorm

Orona's mind swam in the cloud of confusion that hung heavy over her head like a thunderstorm. Her feet were cautious, on autopilot, as she stalked back towards the Millennium Falcon, but her mind remained far away, in a storm of her sister's creation. Sister. She had another sister. Was Khione Krennic her half-sister, or did they share Lyra as their mother?

Why did she release her?

Part of her was elated. She had another sister! This could be redemption for that side of the family. At least Khione had let Orona go, which was more than their biological father ever did. She was witty, and certainly interesting to speak with. She was beautiful, and the more Orona thought of it, they had the same eyes; vibrant, electric blue, almost almond-shaped eyes.

Then again, Khione gave the order to obliterate Alderaan. Orona tried to drill it into her head that her new sister was the enemy—just like their father. She wasn't family. She was nothing. Krennic was nothing.

And yet, something felt different about Khione. She wasn't the coward that Krennic was, but rather seemed to radiate all the confidence in the world. Even the confidence to lead the Empire. How could Orona love someone associated with so much evil?

Orona had so many questions that her head began to ache. A blaster was gripped firmly in each of her hands, though with a stormtrooper's gloves, the action felt unnatural. Her mission was complete, and the previous pull of the Force that guided her gone. She'd met her sister, yet didn't understand why it was necessary. Nothing came of their meeting. Why had the Force brought them together? Khione Krennic was an Imperial Admiral. There was no redemption from that. Orona only hoped the others made it back to—

Shit. Orona reeled back from turning the corner as a large K-2 unit thumped heavily by her. Scolding herself for a lack of attention, she shut her eyes and exhaled sharply through her nose, before opening her eyes again. Her heart pounded with her back pressed against the wall, but an idea suddenly struck her. The rebel's lips twitched into a devious grin.

Fifteen minutes later, garbed in her stormtrooper gear once more, Orona found the landing bay, and she grunted. The smell of the uniform only intensified her sweating as she shifted her grip on the metal feet.

"Force, you are not worth this, tin-can," she muttered, dragging the disabled K-2 unit towards the Falcon. "You're lucky I love him."

Across the docking bay, she finally saw her companions, Cassian at the head of the group, one arm out to keep them from rushing into trouble, the other occupied by his blaster. He looked tense, the way he always looked on missions. His frown was constant and his lips downturned, but his eyes—his gorgeous, honey-colored eyes, were wide and wild, on high alert. Orona's stomach did a backflip.

"Oh, fuck," she breathed.

Orona turned back to continue her mission of stealing the droid, but did a double take, finding Princess Leia standing beside Jyn.