17-Somebody's Heartbreak

Start from the beginning

Beth rolled her eyes at me. “He’s not going to dump you.”

“Yeah,” I laughed, “And I’m still married to Eddie.” I opened the bathroom door and pulled on my socks as I hobbled into the living room.

Gaylen came down the hall in his chef’s uniform. The future lawyer worked in the health food restaurant in the food court while he was home, though last time he was around he didn’t get many shifts. The holidays meant more hours even in a small town. “I think I’m gonna grab the Christmas tree on the way home tonight.” He said as Beth walked past me and to him.

“Sounds nice,” She said as she gave him a peck on the lips.

“You gonna join us tonight, Rob?” Gaylen asked hesitantly.

“No,” Rob replied quickly. “I have to work tonight.”

“Of course you do,” I muttered low. “Are we ready to go?”

“Yeah,” He said bitterly, swallowing the last of his coffee.  

It was an uncomfortable ride to work. I could feel the waves of annoyance radiate across to me, and I wasn’t helping by sending them right back in his direction.

At lunch, I sat closer to Beth than usual. Rob didn’t move to close the distance. I looked up from my plate of pasta, seeing Nikki and Steve taking a very long look at the small but clear rift.  

“So,” Nikki started, her voice more chipper than normal. “Christmas party next Saturday. Is everyone excited?”

“Stoked,” Rob replied sarcastically, shoving a fry in his mouth.

“Thrilled,” I added with equal enthusiasm.  I glanced at Beth, who winced.

“Trouble in paradise, Andi?” Steve asked me, trying not to smile as he clearly caught Beth’s expression.

“Shut up, Steve.” Rob hissed.

“I’m sorry, I was talking to Andi. Not you.” He smirked, moving his head from side to side.

“It’s fine, Steve.” I answered his question unconvincingly. I glanced at Rob. He glared at me. What the hell is going on?

He then jumped up, taking his cell phone out of his pocket and answering it as he stepped away from the table.

“Well,” Nikki said, getting us back on topic. “I can’t wait. I have this dress that looks absolutely spectacular. And it’s green. Bonus!”

“Oh, you mean you aren’t going to treat us to the usual slutty red number you normally wear?” Tony faked disappointment, slapping his cheeks with both hands. “Are you feeling alright?”

“Fine,” Nikki shrugged with a smile. “I’ve just been inspired in recent weeks to try something different.”

“Gee, I wonder what brought that on.” I said, way too bitter and cynical to be socializing.

“Wouldn’t you like to know?” Nikki smiled.

“What did I miss?” Rob said as he sits, sliding his chair closer to me. I'm not the only one who noticed the sudden change.

“Well, mister mood swing, apparently Nikki’s not going to be a slut this year.” Tony answered matter-of-factly, provoking Nikki to slap him on the chest.

“Ha! Little late in the year to start that resolution, Nikki.” Rob laughed. “Maybe you should just hold out a few more weeks and try that again next year.” He leaned back, putting his arm around me, startling me. He looked at me and smirked, trying not to laugh. “You okay?”