16-Take a message

“Are you sure she’s going to show up?” Steve asked as he tacked a lime green streamer to the far corner of my living room.

“Why wouldn’t she?” I called to him from the kitchen. “Gaylen told her the other night he would be calling around seven-thirty and Beth never misses his calls.” I grabbed the plastic bowls I had hidden for the night’s special occasion: Beth’s surprise birthday party.

“I don’t think she’s going to like this.” Nikki said, handing Steve the orange streamer, the last that formed an ‘x’ over our heads in the living room. They had hung balloons in the middle, as well as in bunches around the room, all lime green and bright orange.

“She’s going to love it,” Tony said surely. “It’s the perfect distraction for the fact that Gaylen can’t make it down for another couple of weeks. He couldn’t get a cheap flight until halfway through December.”

“Yeah, so try and keep the couple bullshit to a minimal tonight, won’t you Andi?” Nikki snickered at me.

For the record, Rob and I hadn’t been all that bad in front of the others. Only Beth and Tony had seen how we really were as a couple, and even they didn’t get to see the full extent.

“For the hundredth time, Nikki, Rob’s not going to be here. So you can slow down on the drinks, 'cause he’s not going to be here for you to throw your sloppy self all over him.” I retorted with a smile.

“Gee, would you let me?” Nikki asked, ignoring Steve's motioning for some tape.

“Just to see you try.” I ended the small spat as I handed Steve the roll of tape she refused to.

“Thanks.” He glared at her then finished the decorations.

“Alright,” Tony slapped his hands together. “We have food, we have drinks, we have decorations, we have everything set. We just have to wait for the others to start showing up.” He did a little dance of excitement.

“Who all is coming?” Nikki asked, her voice sounding bored as she downed the last of her third cooler. It wouldn’t have been so bad except it was ten to seven and we started decorating at six.

“Frank and Sarah should be here any minute. Doug will be coming with them, then a few others from the mall are expected.” Tony said as he opened a cooler.

“You know, I think this will be the first time we’ll all have hung out together in months! This will be awesome.” Steve noted as he headed to the fridge and grabbed a couple of beers. He twisted off both caps and handed me a bottle.

“Except Andi’s man,” Nikki replied with an eye roll.

I ignored her, not letting the sting of his missing the party, seemingly on purpose, get to me. But as people started showing up, it burned a little more. He knew I started planning this with Tony a month ago, and had had more than enough time to book off the night with both the Art store and Bombay, but didn't.

He'd been working a lot lately, and was seldom available in the early evenings. Except for maybe two nights a week, he'd come over after ten o'clock, falling into bed exhausted. Those two nights when he was off we'd go out, but I'd yet to be treated to the kind of date he gave me before my mother came to Bayside.

And of course, as I always did when I started thinking of how we could be growing together and pulling apart at the same time, I got lost in my own little world.

 “Hey,” Steve said, putting a hand on my shoulder, making me jump. “You okay?”

“Yeah,” I replied with a smile. “I’m just really nervous. I got Beth an awesome gift, and I don’t know how she’s going to react to it.” I blushed.