25 ♚ Forevermore

Start from the beginning

She smiled.

“I had no intention of doing so. Anyone could see from a mile away that Light's heart did not belong to Misa. How could I, anyways, when I saw how much you meant to each other?”

Lawliet set fire on a container of ash, and held Light’s death note over the flame.

“What are you doing, L?” Rem wondered.

“I’m disposing of both death notes. Thank you, Rem, you’ve done well,”

He threw Misa’s death note in along with it, and Rem disappeared altogether before I could express my gratitude.

 “Do you remember my tombstone, by any chance?”

“I visited almost every day.”

“Well, I was in hiding along with Watari underground; way underground.”

 * * *

You peeked into the dark room and felt the rough walls.

“A little uncomfortable, wasn’t it?”

He grabbed your hand and led you to another room, one with carpeting you could feel underneath your feet. The lights went on. It looked like the average hotel room that Lawliet would stay in; a big flat screen television and all.

“So tell me,” he began.

“Hm?”

“Did you fall for anyone while I was away?”

“Lawliet, the only person I’ve ever fallen for is you!  Isn't that obvious?”

“Well, I know that I can still tell you that I still love you no less than when I did all of those years ago,”

He pulled you closer. All you wanted to do right now was to breathe in his sweet scent again as his face was right in front of yours.

“Then I guess you aren’t completely emotionless after all,” you chuckled.

He gave you the same old blank stare that he used to.

“I just thought it was a little odd for you to fall for with someone, that’s all," you said. You then remembered something.  "Well, except for when you told Misa...”

His grin came back.  “Don't you know me well enough to know that it was only to throw her off track?  Besides, I only have the ability to fall for you,”

Your eyes widened. Lawliet was actually blushing for the first time.

“Well, I only have the ability to fall for one person as well, Lawliet. And that person is you,” you said.

“Then I’d like you to spend the rest of your life with me, if you don’t mind,”

Lawliet’s dark eyes remained locked on yours as he fiddled with the charm on your necklace. You gulped.

“W-why wouldn’t I?”

“Great, then,” he breathed.

Still having his eyes on yours, he had slipped an engagement ring on your finger. You attempted to look down at the ring, but Lawliet had put his hand in the way of your chin.

“First things first, young lady.”

You could feel yourself blushing even more.

“Y-yes?”

“You’re back to stuttering again; I can see that you’re still as cute as ever. If not that, cuter.”

Lawliet’s warm lips gently met yours, eventually progressing into a much more passionate kiss that was so dizzying that you'd softly fallen on the small sofa.  You were the first to break the kiss, but Lawliet’s arms were still wrapped around your waist snugly and you still lying there on top of him.

Whoa! you thought. You shyly giggled.

“So, how would you rate that... on a scale of one to ten...”

Dork!” you laughed, covering your face.

He grinned and sighed, “I love you more than anything else in this world.”

You gulped yet again in shock of what he had just said. Sure, he had said it all those years ago, but things were different; he had said it this time with so much more emotion. This time you knew how much he meant it.

“No, really. How was it?”

“If you really want to know, I’d say a 10.5,” you laughed, “So can I look at my engagement ring now, please?”

“Go on.”

You took a peek at your left hand, and ended up gazing at the ring.

“It’s…”

You were so content that a tear slid down your cheek.

“Do you not like it? I can get you a different one if you want,”

“No, I love it.” You smiled. “It’s so beautiful. Thank you so much,”

He smiled and brushed your tears away with his warm hands.  “Are you positive?”

“I really wouldn’t have it any other way,” you confessed.

“Then that’s fortunate, Sweetheart.”

“S-sweetheart?” you asked as your face began to heat up.

He laughed a laugh that made your heart race, and then cuddled you lovingly in the warm arms you’ve missed.  “I might as well start calling you that now.”

With his forehead still pressed against your's, the both of you gazed into each other’s eyes in amazement; daydreaming. You never knew that things would turn out to be so perfect.

So Lawliet has the ability to fall… for only me, you thought and smiled shyly to yourself, resting your head on his chest.

"I love you," you smiled.

"I love you too," he smiled in return.

♡  T h e  E n d