23 ♚ Gone

: 23

— Gone 

Apparently Kira was killing criminals with a notebook entitled Death Note. It’s been a few days now since Light and Lawliet were unlinked. Misa was released, and the killings were starting again.

What the heck is Lawliet thinking? you wondered here and there. Is he crazy, or is he crazy? 

You searched for Lawliet everywhere. He was nowhere to be found. One last place to look, though you highly doubted he was on the rooftop. It was pouring outside.

Yet there he was; his pale face glistening from the rain, and his black hair soaked. 

“Ryuzaki? Please come inside! You’ll catch a cold!”

Lawliet slowly turned his head in your direction and grinned. He waved you over and held you tightly.

“This is the first time in a while,”

“What do you mean?"

“It’s only the two of us at this moment."

You blushed.

He continued. "I heard you,”

“Huh?”

“To Aizawa. That was quite a speech.”

“Well, I just know how it feels.”

You were drowning in his sweet scent again, not wanting to let go.

“Lawliet, I…”

“You what?”

“I love you so much, enough to die if you were to be gone from my life. I would refuse to even consider living anymore if—“

“Don’t say that. If anything were to happen to me, the last thing I would want is another life taken from this earth; especially yours. And your help with solving the Kira case would be very—”

You couldn’t stand it.

“You don’t understand the point I’m trying to get across to you! I love you!”

“… I know. And I love you too.”

“Not only in that way!  I’ve been trying to get you to realize this for so long now. As smart as you are; you can’t even figure that out?”

You choked up on the last few words, trying not to yell at him.

It was those eyes that got to you; those mysterious, gray eyes that you loved. “Don’t cry,”

Lawliet placed his warm hand on your cheek. You loved the warmth; you loved everything about him. That’s why you couldn’t hold it in anymore.

“Can't you see? How many times do I have to say it?  Do you know how stupid I feel right now, confessing to you like this?”

“I...”

“Don’t look at me right now, please.  I’m sorry for yelling at you.  Gosh, I’m such an idiot.  Why would you want me, anyways.”

“I wouldn’t exactly say that I don’t want you,”

“Is that your response?”

“To say such a thing is pathetic compared to the truth.  I've been loving you for a long time as well.”

There was a long pause. You stared into Lawliet’s eyes again, searching for some sign of emotion, wanting this moment to last forever.

“Sorry for sounding like a stalker,” your face was turning pink.

He only sighed, pulling you closer so that his lips were an inch away from yours.

“I love you,” he murmured.

“I love you more,” you said.

“Then could you do something for me?”

“Anything,” 

“I want you to bring down Light. I’ve known all along that he’s Kira; I've just been lacking the proper evidence. I also need to inform you that I'll be—"

“What are you two doing out there?” Light’s voice was muffled through the storm.

* * *

“What is this, Ryuzaki? You’re using the notebook for—"

“Yes, an execution.  I’m testing it out.”

“What are your intentions!”

“If we work this out, the entire case will be solved.  Watari?  Watari!

You heard Watari gasping for air. No! Kira couldn’t have…

“Watari!” you shouted.

Watari!

This was the first time in your life when you saw Lawliet express this kind of emotion.

“Ryuzaki,” you said, wrapping your arms around him.

He choked out your name in a panic.

“It's... it's okay... it's okay...” you repeated quietly, doing your best to breathe normally.

In this situation, you were the one comforting him, despite the fact that you wanted to burst to tears as well.

Lawliet then fell out of his seat.

"Ryuzaki?!" you exclaimed.

Your expression turned to a horrified one in realization of what what going on.

“Keep your promise to me," he breathed out as you bent over closer to him.  "Please,”

“What’s going on!” 

You realized what was happening.

"Please don't give up!  Please!” you begged.  Tears began to stream down your cheeks.

The corner of his mouth tugged up slightly as he slowly brought his hand up to your cheek.

You couldn’t even open your mouth without more streams of hot tears pouring out down your face. His eyes closed slowly.

“Ryuzaki!” Light shouted.  He acted as though he was concerned as well.  You did your best not to turn around and give him a death glare.  

You were now determined to take Light down more than ever.