05 ♚ Endearingly

05

— Endearingly 

The sunlight poured inside from the large windows, and I’d woken up to the sound of Lawliet typing. He seemed to have noticed that I was awake somehow, since he turned to look at me. 

I gave a bitter look to the handcuffs (with a rather long chain) that linked him and I as if they were living things. I was far too awkward at certain parts of the day to spend twenty-four hours of every day with Lawliet. Exhibit A; some mornings where my hair probably looked like a tornado whipped through it. It was nice, spending time with him after years of having no contact whatsoever. But this meant embarrassment for me if I didn’t have some privacy, thus provoking the not-so-pleasant glare I gave the inanimate objects.

I shook my head furiously. Why should I care? I thought, confused at my bitterness towards the situation, I shouldn’t have to be embarrassed or anything, right? He’s my best friend for crying out loud, and nothing more.

Lawliet caught sight of my expression. “Good morning to you too,” he said with a hint of sarcasm, although both his tone and expression were nearly blank.

I attempted to smile to cover up the strange look I’d given the handcuffs. “Er... good morning,”

“So about your plans for university,” he began.

I just remembered about all of the interviews I’d gone to two days ago. I couldn’t let all of that go to waste.

“You were accepted into every single one you applied for,” he stated, flipping through the papers that appeared to be my acceptance letters. 

He tossed them one by one to me, and to my surprise, I’d caught them all.

“Woah, I even got into this one!” I exhaled in disbelief, holding up a letter from one of the best universities in Japan.

He nodded, and stirred more sugar into his coffee. I assumed it was brought over by someone else. 

“How did you get these, anyways?” I asked.

“I had the letters taken from that hotel you were staying at. Watari got someone to do the job for me. I must say, he really is a reliable man,” he replied, gulping down the last bits of coffee left in the tea cup.

Ah, I remembered Watari.

Just then, he opened the door to the room.  He was a rather old man; the hair on his head and his large moustache were a mix of white and gray.  His eyes looked as if they were closed, given that he may have been hiding a kind smile under his large amount of facial hair.  He carried a silver tray filled with candy, cookies, coffee, a huge jar of sugar, and any sweets you could name, really.  “Good morning, Ryuzaki,” he said.

“Hello, Watari,” Lawliet replied as the old man set the tray of sweets and coffee on the table beside the laptop.

“Are you in need of anything else?” Watari asked.

“As of now, no.  But thank you.  By the way, I believe you know the young woman sitting on the bed,”

Watari turned and strolled towards me to get a closer look, and his eyes seemed to widen.  “Ah, Kyou,” he smiled.  "Have you been well?"

“Yes, yes, I have,” I smiled back, giving him a slight bow as he did for me.

“Well, you’ll see me rather often around here,” he said.

“Watari,” Lawliet cut in.

“Yes?”

“You know Light Yagami, don’t you?”