𝙚𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩

Start from the beginning

"Not the only way," Jeno hummed from behind them, though left that little phrase to linger in the air and elicit a small laugh from Chenle and an uncomfortable thought from Renjun. Either way, he was led up the rest of the stairs by both, and thankfully they weren't as strange as Jisung or Jaemin.

"By the way," the youngest piped up as they moved towards their separate doors, "Looks like we're next door neighbours. I hope you don't snore."

I hope you don't invade rooms in the middle of the night to watch innocent men sleep, "Ah, don't worry, I don't," Renjun hummed, and watched as the girl unlocked her door beside his while Jeno wandered off further across the way, next door to Jisung, if he wasn't mistaken.

"We're the only two on this side," Chenle explained to the older, "Rooms eighteen to twenty are empty, and the other guys fill rooms eleven to fifteen on the other side."

"I see," Renjun murmured while twisting his key in the lock. "Can I ask you something?"

"Mmm, shoot."

"Wh-Why are you the only girl here? Doesn't it bother you? Is it because Jisung is your boyfriend?"

Chenle almost choked on his own breath before cackling loudly. Luckily, Jeno had already retired to his room. "Aaaaw, what makes you think Ji is my boyfriend? I mean, you aren't wrong, but how'd you know?"

"He....He kissed you down there. I just assumed..."

"Well, that would point to one conclusion, wouldn't it," he whispered to himself more than to Renjun, and pushed on into his room. "Goodnight, new boy."

Oh no, we aren't gonna' have nicknames like that, are we? "Goodnight Chenle," he merely called back. From Jeno's room he could hear a faint 'night' as well, which was sort of warming when the oldest Chinese thought about it. He hadn't heard a 'goodnight' in a while.

The sound of the others all thundering up the staircases frightened him into getting a move on. He rammed into his door and slammed it shut behind him, his breathing ragged while he fumbled with the key in his hand. As though whatever god was up there felt like having a laugh, he dropped the damn thing and listened to it clatter onto the tiled floor and clink along into the darkness. "Fuck me!"

"Was that an invite, Princess?" Jaemin's snide and familiar voice chuckled from the other side of the door, forcing it open even when the older had his full body weight against it. He, Jisung and Donghyuck were laughing wildly as they came inside, cooing as if Renjun was the cutest thing since puppies and kittens came into creation.

"Stop!" The oldest hissed, trying to shove them back, though Jisung took his wrists and and pulled him so very close to his body.

"Jun, you're so uptight. Loosen up."

"What? Do you think we'll treat you wrong?" Jaemin added with a pout, "Do we look like bad guys?"

Donghyuck pulled them away and folded his arms as he looked the male up and down. His eyes were full of promising sparkles, yet shaded with something unknown as well. "I'm not always on their side, but I do want to share with you some advice."

".....What do you mean?"

"Don't take everything so seriously. Not a one of the six of us take anything we do with very much seriousness, so I suggest you relax as well. Stress is so pointless, isn't it? We won't attack you in your sleep or anything."

"I never said you would-"

"But you thought it, didn't you? Last night, Ji came in here, didn't he? You were scared, don't lie."

"It was Jisung?!" Renjun gasped, shooting his gaze straight up to the tallest of the bunch. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I thought it would've been more interesting for you to find out on your own. Oh well. Hyuck doesn't play very many games when he's like this," the brunette judged the other.

Jaemin smiled brightly before ruffling the Chinese adult's hair and blowing him a cheeky kiss. "Until morning time, Renjun. See ya." He wandered out of the room, followed by Jisung who playfully pinched his nose before leaving. Donghyuck, however, waited a moment longer to be alone. He looked down at his feet before raising his head again with a slight blush.

"Listen..." he murmured, scratching the back of his neck. "I don't want there to be any awkward feelings between us, alright? I-I know you told me I called you Daddy yesterday....I didn't mean to."

"What? Seriously? Then why?"

"It's a long story, and one I'd rather you saw and developed an opinion on yourself, than me telling you. So..." he shrugged, "Can we forget what you saw, and build up to that properly? Can we be friends?"

Renjun tilted his head with sheer curiosity as he revised the strange happenings from less than twenty four hours ago. He had many questions, though pressed them down to the depths of his mind when it was clear this boy wanted to start a healthy relationship from scratch. "Um, sure. Of course we can..."

"Thank you," Donghyuck smiled, as stunning as ever. "Then...goodnight."

"Mhm, see you tomorrow."

The younger exited the apartment as well, leaving the older alone to his thoughts with only the hallway lights (which one of the boys had turned on) to illuminate his living space barely. He sighed, looking around the floor for the key after flicking on his light switch.

He noticed it glimmer from beside the sofa, and swiped it up in an instant. The little object was basically useless to him at the moment, but he'd die if he lost it all the same.

Once Renjun pattered over to his door to close it, he caught sight of two men across the hall talking in low tones. It was Mark and.....Jeno? They were really close together, grins evident on their cheeks as they possibly joked about something.

Then, defying the thought that Renjun had decided on - that being that Jeno was with Jaemin and Mark with Donghyuck - they leaned in for a kiss.

Now, this wasn't a soft 'see you tomorrow' kiss, or a friendly peck on the cheek. This was a proper lust-filled, tongue included make-out wherein both seemed quite romantically involved.

Oh my god. Why do I always see what I don't want to see? Are they cheating? What is even happening?! Renjun managed to slam his door shut and lock it regardless of whether everyone could get in or not. His chest heaved with shock and despair as he took tentative steps backwards and ended up falling back onto the sofa.

He squeezed his eyes closed, thinking about home, thinking about his mother.

No matter how hard he tried to want this, none of it seemed like it would work.

─────── • ❥ • ───────