Chapter 4

Harmony snapped out of the sleepiness, gently slapping her left cheek. She tightened the grip around her bag and walked toward the other end of the bridge. As she felt the gravel beneath her feet and the rainy mist on her skin, Harmony noticed her heart racing. At that moment she realized how truly real and dangerous the whole thing was. After all, she was meeting a bunch of strangers at the break of dawn, in a place where screams were silenced by the forest of old trees.

Newborn sun shone across their faces, revealing a pair of boys with matching features. Brown, windswept hair and cheekbones so magnificent they could cut through glass. They looked so alike that Harmony thought they must be twins. Next to them stood a much taller guy with a large tattoo spread across his chest. All three had something in common; military uniforms. Harmony recognized the green and black fabric immediately.

“Good morning,” one of the twins smiled.

“Mrs. Scott,” Grey placed his arms behind his back in authoritative way. “meet Leon,” he pointed towards the first twin and Harmony extended her arm and shook his hand. “and Tim.” Grey gestured toward the second twin.

“Harmony,” she introduced herself, extending her arm in his direction, as well.

Tim bowed his head, focusing on his shoes, trying to surpass a grin forming on his lips. Other boys began laughing the same way.

“Sorry,” said Tim and revealed an empty sleeve. He had no hand. All but Tim burst out laughing. “Don’t be mad, it’s an inside joke. At least now they can tell us apart.” He stared at Harmony in the most apologetic way.

She wasn’t used to jokes about human imperfections, but what is a world without laughter? “We all got our demons,” Harmony pointed at her hearing aid.

“See, the girl gets it.” Tim’s twin brother friendly punched her shoulder, wiping a tear of laughter from his face.

“And the last but not least,” Grey mimicked at the tall boy who didn’t say a single word. “Severin.”

“He’s not chatty.” said Leon.

“In fact, he doesn’t speak at all.” added Tim.

Harmony nodded and extended her hand once again, hoping this one has all limbs. Severin answered with one, firm bow and a handshake. He had a dark beauty mark above his upper lip, much like Marilyn Monroe.

“Are you guys – “ Harmony gestured at their military uniforms, conveying a clearer picture about their current situation.

“Oh,” Leon tucked on his green uniform. “yeah, we’re technically still in the army.”

Technically?” Harmony repeated.

They all looked at Grey as if to search for his approval. Droplets were escaping his messy curls, like rain from treetops. Corner of his lips tucked into a slight smile, giving them the green light.

“Technically, we’re in the resistance,” Leon answered.

“But our military uniforms make it easier to get access to certain, um, goods.” Tim completed their explanation.

Harmony felt an ache in her elbow, but tried to think it away. She got a pretty clear picture of the bunch, there was only one thing that did not make sense. “Why aren’t you military?” her eyes focused on Grey’s amber ones.

“That’s because - “ Tim started but Grey glared at him in the most frightening way to silence his tongue.

“I’m a lover,” he showed Harmony the guitar case, strapped to his back. “not a fighter.”