Chapter 4: The Great King

Începe de la început

"They're amazing but..." Her vice-captain frowned, "They're only winning because Oikawa-san's not here yet!"

"Right..."

Karasuno's team were ecstatic, but the mood quickly shifted the second their setter said something ominous.

"Don't let your guard down. It's just a feeling but I don't think their setter is their official setter."

As if right on cue, a sea of screams engulfed the room. Kaiya crossed her arms defeatedly, knowing why a horde of teenage girls shrieked with delight.

Meanwhile, on the court, Oikawa approached his teammates with a confident smile on his face.

"Be more careful next time!" His coach huffed.

"Sorry..." Oikawa scratched his head bashfully.

"Oikawa-san! Please don't hurt yourself!" One of the girls up on the stands exclaimed.

He waved at them reassuringly, causing them to shriek even louder. As he scanned who was at the stands, he noticed Kaiya, who seemed as disgruntled as ever, and waved at her exaggeratedly.

"Miya-chan! I'm so glad you're here supporting me!" He teased, causing her to become even more irked than usual.

Without missing a beat, she exclaimed, "Get hit by a bus!"

Oikawa laughed mockingly as he turned to face his teammates.

"Iwa-chan! I can't believe you lost the first set!" He pouted.

"Shut it... We got caught off-guard by one of their attacks..." Iwaizumi muttered.

Oikawa spun around curiously and noticed his old teammate, Kageyama Tobio, staring at him.

"Yoohoo!" He grinned radiantly, "Long time no see, Tobio-chan!"

This caused Kageyama to cringe, making Oikawa feel empowered for some reason.

"Having fun being the King?" Oikawa continued teasingly.

Kageyama ignored him and proceeded to talk to his teammates. Afterwards, their coach told him to warm-up in the other gym before he joined the practice match. He left the gym, causing some of the girls to whine in response. Eventually, after some time, Oikawa returned, seemingly in the nick of time as Karasuno was currently winning the third set. He stood next to their coach and smiled.

"Oh... We're in trouble..." He chimed in.

He swapped out with his underclassmen and smirked arrogantly.

"No matter how strong their attacks are, it falls flat if they never connect with the ball."

Oikawa threw the ball up and prepared to do a jump serve. He grinned as his hand made contact with the ball - his aim was for the tall, glasses-kid. Oikawa was confident in his skills and it made him feel absolutely wonderful when the ball he served couldn't be received. However, like most things in his life, he always fell short by a tiny bit. Karasuno won the third set only because of the stupid quick attack Kageyama and that orange-haired shrimp has concocted.

This loss only served to fuel his desire to defeat his underclassmen, and so-called genius, Kageyama Tobio.

After the boys' practice matches were over, Kaiya strolled down the stands to greet one of the boys she recognized from Karasuno's team.

"Hey! I didn't know you attended Karasuno!" Kaiya smiled tenderly.

The boy with light-grey hair and hazel-brown eyes gazed up and smiled warmly.

"Hey! Miyazaki-san!" He exclaimed as he blushed a smidge, "I didn't know you attended Seijoh either!"

"Suga, do you know her?" Karasuno's captain asked curiously.

"Yeah!" He nodded, "We volunteer at the same daycare together."

"It's nice to meet you..." His friend smiled welcomingly, "I'm Sawamura Daichi."

"Nice to meet you, Sawamura-san. I'm Miyazaki Kaiya." She introduced herself.

Suddenly, Karasuno's manager, a pretty girl with short, black hair who wore glasses, approached them slowly.

"Anyone need a towel?" She murmured softly.

"No, we're good, Shimizu!" Sugawara cleared his throat, "This is Miyazaki Kaiya. She's my friend."

"Nice to meet you." Shimizu smiled subtly.

"Did Kiyoko-san just smile?!" Kaiya heard one of the boys (the bald one, according to Kaiya) on their team shout excitedly.

"Shimizu signed up to be a volunteer at the daycare too," Sugawara explained, "She starts next week!"

"Really? That's great!" Kaiya laughed lightly, "We could always use more volunteers."

"Right?!"

Kaiya noticed her teammates setting up the court so that their practice could start.

"I'll see you soon, Sugawara!" She stated, "It was nice to meet you, Shimizu-san! You too, Sawamura-san! Congrats on the wins!"

As she jogged away, Shimizu squinted her eyes suspiciously at Sugawara.

"Why are you looking at me like that, Shimizu?" Sugawara laughed nervously.

"No reason..." She shrugged nonchalantly.

Sugawara was sometimes too easy to read.

Kaiya joined the rest of her teammates and much to her dismay, Oikawa approached her.

"I saw you flirting with that guy," Oikawa brought up teasingly, "Is it time to move on from Iwa-chan?"

"If you don't shut up-"

"What about me?" Iwaizumi chimed in from out of nowhere, "I heard my name."

Oikawa and Kaiya stared at each other, clearly alarmed.

"Uh..."

"Nothing!" Kaiya dismissed, "We were just talking about..."

"Chemistry!" Oikawa exclaimed triumphantly.

"Right..." Iwaizumi murmured skeptically, "You better help Miyazaki with the project, crappy-kawa. It's a project that you have to do together."

Before Kaiya could protest, Oikawa said something surprising. It actually seemed like he cared.

"Yeah, yeah... I'm not going to leave her hanging, obviously. I don't care how many times she says that she doesn't need my help. I'm still going to help her."

Kaiya gazed up at him, dumbfounded by his statement.

Oikawa looked at her snootily, "What time?"

"What do you mean?" She asked slowly.

"What time should we work on our project tomorrow?" Oikawa sighed, "You're free right?"

"Yes..."

"So what time?" He repeated irritatedly.

Kaiya looked up at his annoyed face and cleared her throat.

"Noon...?"

Oikawa looked at her briefly and spun around.

"See you then."

"Okay..."

"I'll bring some snacks." Oikawa muttered.

Kaiya couldn't even retort back as Oikawa had already left their gym.

"Have fun on your date with Oikawa." Iwaizumi snickered, causing her to grimace.

It obviously wasn't a date.