Midnight Fast Food -- The Last Meal

The last few customers filed out of the movie theater. South Hooverton is a small town and doesn't have a lot of late-night action once Hooverton Multiplex 2 closes. Frank's Diner is open 24/7. There's a customer or two at any time. Or you can enjoy chips and drinks from the gas station.

We four who worked the evening shift cleaned up. Finally, Don, the Assistant Manager, locked the door, and we stood under the marquee.

I live in an apartment building three doors from the theater, so I walk. Frank's Diner is next to my apartment building. Best burgers in town. Really. Thick, juicy, succulent, meaty, cooked to order and a wide range of toppings. I was craving protein after a day of popcorn, candy, and sodas.

"Anyone want to go to Frank's?" I asked. My co-workers looked at each other.

"Uh," Don said. "No, thanks, Ernie. Maybe you should go straight home. It's late."

"And it's Halloween," said Wayne, the projectionist.

"Yeah, so?"

"Nobody eats at Frank's on Halloween," said Denise, who works Concessions. She had a bucket of leftover popcorn, and crunched a few kernels as we stood there.

"Why not?"

They looked at each other again.

Let me explain. I'm new in town. I moved here to go to Hooverton College, where my brother, Nels, had gone until he disappeared last Halloween. They found his torso a few weeks later, with his right arm missing. He was one of several disappearances over the last few years. Sometimes police found body parts, but not always.

You may ask why I came to Hooverton after my brother disappeared. We're orphans, raised by our Grandma. There wasn't much money. After my brother's death, I got a full scholarship to Hooverton College, plus many donations. I could pay for school and have no student loans. I live in South Hooverton. Cheaper rents, and it's easy to commute to college.

Nels and I always ate at Frank's when I visited here. Like I said, best burgers in town. And for miles around. Nels loved the place. He always ordered a double bacon cheeseburger all the way. I remember his last text. He was on his way to grab a burger at Frank's the night he disappeared. On Halloween, now that I think about it.

Back to the group under the Marquee. "I want a burger. Too many sweets today."

Don said, "There's stories about Frank's. You know the mascot they call Frankie, with the scars? Can't talk. People say he's cursed. That crazy Dr. Stein, who owns Frank's, takes care of him. I'd swear Frankie looks a little different every year. People disappear around Halloween, and some say Frank's Diner is their last meal."

They were truly worried and insistent, so I agreed. They drove off, and I walked to my building. When I passed Frank's, the aroma of burgers and fries got my stomach growling and lured me in. Frankie handed me a menu, and returned to sweeping up. Dr. Stein himself was cooking tonight. I ordered a burger, medium, with blue cheese, fries, and coffee. Dr. Stein dumped a generous portion of fries in the fryer, and started the thick burger. The meat sizzled, and my stomach growled again.

I realized I was the only customer. Just crazy Dr. Stein, Frankie, and me. I remembered Denise's words: 'No one eats at Frank's on Halloween.' Frankie poured coffee in my cup. His sleeve pulled back from his right wrist and my heart skipped a beat when I saw the tattoo.

I was with Nels when he got that tattoo. An owl and a book. The owl had a crooked claw on its foot, making the tat unique and identifiable. Frankie was much shorter than Nels and had black hair instead of Nels' blonde. How could Nels' arm be here? My stomach lurched when I noticed the arm with the tattoo had blond hair while the other arm had black hair.

I looked at Frankie. The face wasn't Nels, but the brown eyes were. I knew Dr. Stein was a retired doctor, a lecturer at Hooverton College. His specialty was transplant and transplant rejection. The medical school had retired him over his objections when he'd wanted to do a brain transplant. He claimed to transplant a brain the eyes needed to go with it, for medical science could not yet transplant a whole eye.

Frankie grunted and pushed the coffee cup to me. He looked anxiously through the kitchen window at Dr. Stein. I wondered about that coffee. I wondered about Frankie. I wondered what was planned for me.

I looked into Nels' eyes. "Dr. Stein?"

He poked his head through the window. "Yeah, Ernie? Drink your coffee while it's hot."

"I'd like to buy Frankie a burger and fries. There're no other customers, and I'd like company. Would you fix him a double bacon cheeseburger all the way, with fries?"

"Sure," said Dr. Stein. "Coming right up."

"Your double bacon cheeseburger all the way and fries will be ready soon. Sit with me and eat. Dr. Stein says it's OK."

Frankie sat next to me. I touched his wrist. "My brother had a tattoo just like that. An owl with books. He died a year ago."

Frankie groaned again, and getting up, went behind the counter. He emptied my cup, and gave me a fresh cup from another pot. When the burgers and fries came, we ate silently. I poured some of my coffee into a pile of napkins and stuck them in my pocket, so it looked like I'd drunk it. Dr. Stein didn't notice, just kept sneaking peeks at me.

An eternity later, I finished my tasteless burger, paid and left, to Dr. Stein's confusion. I left Frankie a generous tip. I walked in a daze to my apartment and let myself in. I dumped the soggy napkins in the trash and sat down. I cried for an hour before I called the police.