Off the Record

"You've been inspiring, Mrs. Lacker, thanks for the interview."

"I hope you can put my tips to good use in your own writing, Rick. They come from 'years of close experience'," said Mrs. Lacker, with a too-wide smile. "I'll autograph this for you." She took his copy of her latest bestselling novel, 'How I Get Away With Murder'. "I thought I had a pen here."

"I know your tips will help." He handed her a pen.

She gripped it tightly, pricking her finger on a sharp edge. "Ouch! A cut. It stings."

Rick took out a packet of wipes. "Clean it with one of these."

Adrienne Lacker, well-known author and unknown serial murderer, rubbed the wipe over the cut. It was the kind with lotion. Another drop of blood welled out of the wound. She pressed the tissue on it. "Thank you. She signed the book, 'To Rick Gordon, best wishes with your writing, Adrienne Lacker.'

"I get quite a few fans up here. The cabin is so remote, you'd think they wouldn't bother."

Rick looked around the cabin with satisfaction. "It's the perfect location for murder. Isolated, no cell service, no car access. Miles of woods and wild animals to dispose of the bodies. And your tips: double-check everything; leave nothing to chance, leave no traces; get your victim alone and let no one know you've got them."

She smiled knowingly.

"I'll leave now," he said. "Thanks again."

She walked him out. His motorcycle was parked near a path in the woods. "You're lucky, Rick Gordon. I don't get many visitors here in the middle of nowhere." She yawned.

"I know about your visitors. Tom Smith. Annie Grey-Carston. Jamahl Green. All the others. They visited you here and never left. Those wild animals, right? And the elements."

"What? Are you the police?" She felt dizzy.

Rick laughed, short and hard. "I'm no policeman. Tom was my writing partner. He came here because you "spontaneously" offered him an interview at a book signing. He never returned. I came here when you were gone and checked around. I found what was left of him at the bottom of the cliff. I've watched you for a long time."

She staggered to the cabin and pushed the door open. Rick caught her arm and dragged her away. She was too groggy to resist. "What did you do? I only drank coffee I made. You wouldn't eat or drink anything."

"I wasn't going to let you drug me, like the others. I put a strong sedative in the wipes and sharpened the edge of the pen." He pulled her down the path to the cliff.

***

Rick autographed another copy of his first bestseller, "How I Murder," and handed it to an enthusiastic fan.

"Thank you, Rick. I loved this novel. You're my favorite mystery author, since Mrs. Lacker passed away. This book is even dedicated to her."

Rick smiled. "She gave me the best tips for murder."