seize.*

"I REALLY APPRECIATE that you're doing this," my voice is soft as I reach out and take Asher's hand in my own. "You didn't have to come, but I am really glad that you did."

"Are you kidding? I love spending time with you and your brother," he looks down at me, the corner of his lip only slightly raising.

Things have been delicate. Just over a week since I last saw Harry, my life feels like a balancing act. Only, I don't know how I haven't managed to tip the scales. Every waking minute is spent in Asher's company, reminding me why I chose the man that I love. After all, it was me that chose him. I made the first move and I haven't regret it for a moment since. I haven't regret it for a moment since but I was still willing to jeopardize everything that I have worked so hard to create for a man that I've only just met.

I turn to look at Asher then. His eyes aren't on me; they're focused on the road and there is this subtle kindness to him. He looks gentle and kind and my entire heart is swelling in my chest. Love and adoration fills me just looking at the man who chooses to come to a team dinner with my brother and his friends for no reason other than that he loves spending time with me and my brother. I hadn't even planned on going myself. Personally, I wasn't inclined on reuniting with Harry—not after what had happened in my classroom last week. But when Jack asked why I wasn't planning on going, I couldn't exactly tell him that I was avoiding one of his teammates. Not if every party wanted to leave the conversation unscathed.

Part of what is growing increasingly difficult is that I don't despise Harry. I think that this entire situation would be easier to navigate if I hated Harry. Then, I wouldn't mind throwing him under the bus. Somehow, though, he has managed to worm his way into my heart. Intimidating as I find him, he is growing on me. Presently the affection is only slightly above that of an acquaintance, but he is getting there.

But, what it really comes down to is that Harry is not Asher.

I still have Asher, and I don't intend on losing him.

So, when Asher pulls into the parking lot for the restaurant that Jack and a couple of his teammates had picked out for their little hoorah dinner tonight—tonight being the night before their first game of the season—I have a new conviction in my mind: I will not entertain any sort of shenanigans with Harry Styles. Fun as they may be in the moment, there is nothing that will top my boyfriend. Asher is the one thing that I am not willing to risk.

I know very little about the restaurant that we're at, save from the fact that we're in the North End and theoretically it should be an Italian restaurant but Jack reassured me that there is more than just Italian. Not that I needed to be reassured in the first place—I could probably live exclusively on Italian food. "Here should be good." I point to a parking spot that appears to be open. Asher nods his head and easily pulls into the spot. All things considered I suppose it's just fortunate that the place we're going has parking nearby. Most restaurants in the city don't.

With the car in park, Asher and I take a moment to primp before we are getting out of the car. I fix my hair in the fold-down mirror and apply a new layer of lipstick before I open my door. "Ready?" Asher asks once we are both getting out of the car. I smooth down my dress and shrug my jacket on on top. Growing up, I wasn't the type to wear dresses. Since becoming a teacher, I've definitely grown increasingly used to wearing them, simply because they're pretty easy to style and versatile with the weather. Dressing professionally on a teacher's salary isn't always the easiest thing to do.

"Yes, I am," I can't help the smile as Asher walks to my side and offers me his arm. My own slips through and he leads the two of us to the entrance to the restaurant. On the way over my brother had informed us that they'd walked in just a couple of minutes before us. Asher and I had got caught in traffic on the way over, coming from his apartment which is a bit farther out of the way. "Oh, there they are." I nod my head in the direction to where my brother is standing and waving at the table that they undoubtedly claimed. It's a long table set for eight.