~Imagine Eleven~

Warnings: Season 8, 10, and 12 spoilers, angst, and fluff. Mentions of murder*the case described is not a case in the show*

Prompt: him falling asleep with his head on your lap

Spence Reid's POV

We had just finished a case but the jet had to refuel overnight so we're spending another night at the hotel we've been staying at. Emily, JJ, Luke, Matt, and Tara all decided to go to some bar and Rossi was meeting an old friend, and (Y/N) and I are hanging out in her room. I couldn't help but be distraught by this case. The unsub is attacking ex-convicts and some of the guys I was incarcerated with got killed.

(Y/N) is sitting next to me when suddenly she's standing up and putting shoes on. I ask her where she's going and she replied "To the vending machines and maybe to the lobby, do you wanna come with?" I said "Yes." and put my shoes and a jacket on while she put her jacket on and grabbed some change.

As we walk out of her room and to the elevator she looks at me, holds my hand, and just above a whisper, I hear her say "Spencer, I know this case was tough on you and you must have a thousand thoughts going through your head about the case and I want you to open up to me, hopefully, it does help. I love you."

I place my empty hand on her face softly, stroked her cheekbone with my thumb, plant a soft kiss on her lips and say "It's scientifically proven that it does help. I love you" She reaches up and softly kisses me and then we head down to the vending machines in the lobby.

When we get there (Y/N) presses the buttons for Rice Krispies, a coke, and chips ahoy cookies. She hands them to me after she puts in her money and collects them from the opening in the machine. All of my favorites.

We walk over to the couches and she sits at the end and motions for me to rest my head on her lap. As she threads her fingers through my hair I grab one of the snack bags and start eating from it. I look around us to get a feel of the place and the only people there are two receptionists quietly talking amongst themselves. Quiet elevator music is playing through little speakers in the ceiling. A relaxing, trustful environment.

The unsub was a teenage girl whose father was incarcerated on murder counts and she didn't believe that her father could do something like that so she hired somebody in different prisons to kill prisoners with murder charges. It could've been me on that board if the team hadn't worked so persistently on proving my innocence.

I sniff. I hadn't realized I was crying until I felt (Y/N) wipe my tears away with her thumb. She softly says "What's going on up there, Spence?" obviously indicating what I was thinking about. I say with a slightly cracked voice "It could've been me. I could've been killed. I was in prison because I allegedly killed somebody and that was her victimology. If you guys hadn't proved my innocence on time my picture could've been on that board. My picture would be on the bureau's wall of fallen agents and once this case was done you would be at my funeral. We wouldn't even grow old together."

Your POV

My heart panged with sadness and adoration for what he just said. I hadn't realized that this is how he felt about this case. I knew his prison time had been really hard on him but I hadn't realized that he had felt these things. I also hadn't realized that he had thought about me being a part of his future. I had also thought about him being in my future but he had never mentioned it so I had never asked. Maybe I could use that as a distraction for him from his thoughts. I quietly say "Oh yeah, tell me about our future, Spence. What's it like?

He exhales and begins talking "Yeah, we'd get married and have two kids. A boy and a girl. Our son's name would be Jason and our daughter's name would be Maeve. After Maeve is born, we would move out of our apartment and buy the house you and our children deserve. I would spend half of my thirty-day absences learning how to cook and the other teaching. We would take turns going on cases so that our kids were never alone. When both of our kids move out we would retire, move out and get a small house in the countryside. We would have cattle and a garden. You would manage the garden and I would manage the cattle. There would be a porch swing in the front of the house and on warm Sunday mornings I would sit there and knit us matching sweaters. We would still keep in contact with the team and we would have get-togethers with the team every year. We would spend our days in peace and in touch with our surroundings. Our biggest problem every day would be what we would choose to eat for dinner. Every holiday we would spend with our kids, their spouses, and their kids."

I can't believe that he had thought about all this. It had broken my heart when Spencer had told me about our future children's names. I had no problem naming my daughter Maeve, it was the fact that he's still as broken up about Maeve's death as he was when it had happened four years ago and the same as Gideon's death three years ago. As I thread my fingers through his hair I decide to ask him another question. Before I could though, I heard a soft snore come from his parted lips. He had fallen asleep.

I had worn him out and hopefully, his dreams were filled with what he had told me about our future and not the horrors of our most recent case.