Chapter Thirty-Two

Start from the beginning

"Would you do me a favor and get the cooler set up with a bunch of water? You could bring a blanket and sit and watch Damon and Jacob cream these guys at basketball." Michael quickly agreed to my request and it didnt take long for Alyssa and Michael to join me. Alyssa had her dolls and Michael pulled the wagon. I laid a blanket down and cuddled with them and we all cheered our boys on.

Jacob finally grew tired as the other team kept asking for a rematch, so Michael stepped in. That was when they really got to playing. I fussed over Jacob making sure he wasn't too overheated and nagged him to drink more water. Alyssa quickly grew bored and yelled till Jacob gave in to her demands and played with her. I gave my mommy two cents about staying close and watched them play, running around the grass. Silly me, I thought in the middle of the pack lands we were safe.

"Guys! Not so close to the wood line! Stay where I can see you!" I yelled out as they got near the tree line.

"Okay Mom!" Jacob yelled at me as he chased his squealing sister. He tried to herd her closer to me and seeing he was following my advice, I turned away for a second to see the men play ball. I smiled myself seeing their grinning faces covered in sweat and I was proud how well Michael was keeping up with the other men. You would never guess by looking at him that he was the "weaker" of them. He kept those "stronger" guys on their toes, that was for sure.

Turning back to look at the kids, to make sure they listened and were coming closer, my heart stopped. They were no where to be found. An empty expanse of grass was in front of my eyes. I jumped to my feet, turning my head in all directions, only to not find who I was looking for.

"Jacob?! Alyssa!" I yelled out. Maybe Alyssa, knowing how defiant she was being right now, failed to be herded and went into the woods? "Michael! Damon!" I screamed out. I felt faint as images of the millions of things that could hurt my precious babies in the woods. Falling trees, animals, well, anything! Michael and Damon were quickly at my side, the game forgotten.

"What is it?" "What's wrong?" They both asked me at the same time.

"I can't find the kids!" I gasped out. Calm, I needed to calm down. I'm sure they were fine. I was just worrying over nothing. In the heart of the pack boundaries, they were as safe as being at home. They had series of men guarding the boundary. They were hundreds of pack members who would keep them safe. This wasn't the city. I just needed to calm.

The mantra of all that calmed me enough for my common sense to kick in. Use my senses, my abilities. Track them down. Damon and Michael were already scanning the area, Damon yelling out commands to the men to find our kids. I let Snow come forward just enough to take advantage of her even higher sense of smell and caught their scent. We all did. I watced Damon and the group fan out, scenting this way and that.

I had the hand up. I knew about where they were last. The other scents were all too fresh for them to distinguish where the last one was. So I headed there. I had barely reached the area where they were near the trees when the screams started. The screams of children. I lost it. I didn't care that I was pregnant, and that shifting may cause me to lose my baby. The only thought I had was making sure the babies that were already here were safe.

I shifted, the sound of my clothes ripping off me quickly joined by others. Snow took off like a bullet and I could see Blaze running beside her. I heard the others behind me. It didn't take us long to reach the source of the screams. They hadn't gone that far into the woods. The sight had my wolf and I howling. Alyssa lay unmoving on the ground, and my Jacob, my sweet Jacob, was underneath a wolf. His little arms pushing with all his might against the slavering head. Those poor little arms were covered in blood, my sweet baby, was covered in blood. The growl that ripped through the air as Damon jumped him, knocking him off Jacob should have made the ground tremble. The rogue shook himself off as he stood and faced off with Damon. I knew Damon and the other's would take care of the wolf. I shifted back, uncaring of my nudity, and ran to Jacob. A howl, then nothing. I gathered Jacob in my arms, thankful he was still breathing. Damon, already shifted back himself, tried to take him from me.

At first, I wouldn't let him. I stood with my boy in arms, and he followed suit. He just looked at Jacob mournfully, before forcing my head up.

"Let me, you need to take Alyssa." I gave a cry at the reminder of my other little one. I kissed Jacob on his cheek carefully, he was passed out, and I didn't want him to reawaken to this nightmare. A crashing came from the woods and Damon stepped in front of Jacob and me.

The sight of a ravaged looking Jack met us. His eyes searched us, pain and shock evident there in his eyes. Then his eyes landed on Alyssa and the man holding her little body. He howled his rage and pain to the sky and rushed to her. He snatched her from the man's arms, inspecting her all over. My own anguished eyes searched his. I was too gone. Hoping for a happy ending, not wanting to know if it ended in tragedy. I just couldn't ask. My voice just wouldn't work.

He looked up, the pain a little less.

"She breathes. She has a nasty bump on her head though." I nearly fell to my knees with relief. No, we had to be strong.

"Let me, kitten. We can get them there faster." Damon pleaded. I placed another kiss to Jacob's face. I nodded. I still couldn't speak. Afraid I would begin to scream. Michael came then, stopping at the sight in front of him. Damon grabbed Jacob from me.

"Michael, they're okay, but we need to get them to the hospital quick. Make sure she goes too." That was all Damon said before the streaked away. Carrying my whole self with them. Without Jacob in my arms, I let myself fall to my knees. Let the grief and shame flow. This was my fault. My fault. I screamed into the sky, when my head fell, I let my screams flow into the ground.

Michael, as always, helped me to my feet. He wrapped me in his arms, and once again I felt safe there. Those arms were home to me.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry." I kept sobbing into his chest. He grabbed me a little tighter. He pushed me away to look in my face. His eyes held everything I thought they would. Pain. Anger. They thankfully didn't hold the one thing I expected. Hate.

"This isn't your fault. We were all to blame. We shoud have all kept a better watch." He wiped my face as I shook my head in a negative at his words. Yes, it was my fault. I am the mom. I was watching them. Instead of doing my job though, I was watching a stupid game. "Now, we need to get you dressed and get to the hospital." I pushed myself away and shook my head.

"I just need to get to the hospital." I was just about to shift again when one of the men came up. He had a shirt in his hands and guilt on his face.

"Luna, take my shirt. I'm sorry we failed you. They should have been safe here." I ignored his words, but took the shirt gratefully. Putting it on, I looked at Michael, and we headed to the hospital. Running, even though we weren't as fast as Damon and Jack, Michael and I made pretty good time. Where we waited. Damon beside us. My men on either side of me, to hold me together. Just in case my world fell apart.