Chapter 9

Chapter 9

    "Yeah, I'll meet up with you guys after work today," You say on the phone. You grab the keys to the shop and unlock the entrance since it's opening time already.  "I get out around 2, so you guys could be at the cafe at like 1:30."

    "Sounds great!" says Kaori on the other end of the call.

    You end the call and sigh. Since it's the holidays, the jewelry store in the mall you work at gets pretty busy. So that means you're super busy with customers taking their sweet time on choosing something for their partner.

    I wish someone cared enough to buy me something pretty.

    You roll your eyes. Nah, nevermind. I don't need anybody.

    Your crush on Akaashi says otherwise... another inner voice says.

    You try to ignore your thoughts when your coworker, Kousei, enters through the back door.

    "Hey, pretty lady!" Kousei grins. He smooths his black button up and his light brown hair.

    You smile back, "Hey, Kousei. You ready for another busy day?"

    Kousei's head droops. "I really hate the holidays. It's just a time where people can show the fact that they are in a relationship."

    You roll your eyes, "Come on, Kousei. The holidays aren't just about romantic relationships."

    Kousei ignores you and continues to mope. "All this jewelry, and I still can't win a girl."

***

    "This bracelet is rose gold, which is a perfect color for a lady and I think matches the holidays theme colors!" You hear Kousei say while you're back in the employee room. You peek into the main shop and freeze when you see him.

    Kousei is helping Akaashi choose something.

    You slink behind Kousei while Akaashi was busy looking down at the see through display.

    "Hm. Yeah, that one is really nice." Akaashi mutters to himself while examining the one article. He finally looks up and his eyes widen when he sees you. "Oh- y/n?"

    You give him a tight, closed smile. "Hi, Akaashi."

    Kousei looks back and forth between you two. "You guys know each other?"

    You nod, "He's a classmate."

    Kousei barely whispers, "Just a classmate?"

    Akaashi eyes are trained on you, "Yeah...so, you work here, y/n?"

    "Looks like it. So...you're getting something?" You say with a tight voice.

    Akaashi nods, "Yeah... Sir, I'll take that one you're talking about."

    Kousei nods and unlocks the showcase. He carefully takes out the bracelet and heads to the back to wrap it up. So that leaves you and Akaashi standing there.

    "So... who's the bracelet for?" You ask while trying not to act so bothered.

    Akaashi rubs his neck, "Just someone special."

    You notice the faint blush on his cheeks. "Oh. Cool." Your eyes catch another customer looking at a watch. "See you," you say quickly and walk off with Akaashi eyes staring at you.

    This doesn't bother me at all.

***

    When you place your hot chocolate on the small coffee table, you slump on the chair. Kaori and Yukie look at each other then at you with concern.

    You sigh. "I saw Akaashi at work today."

    They gasp. Kaori says, "Like.. at the jewelry store?"

    You roll your eyes, "Yes, I'm pretty sure that's where I work."

    "Did he buy something?" Yukie asks.

    Your head droops and you take a sip of your drink. "He bought a rose-gold bracelet."

    Their eyes widen. You continue, "He said it was for someone special. I'm jealous."

    Yukie smiles, "Of course, you're jealous. I mean you like him, right?"

    You cover your eyes in embarrassment. "Is it that obvious?"

    Kaori shrugs and reaches for her coffee with a weird amount of whipped cream on top of it, "Not really. I mean it doesn't seem like the all-observant Akaashi knows."

    Yukie pats your shoulder. "Maybe the bracelet is for his mom?"

    You whine, "He would've said it's for his mom. You know he wouldn't be embarrassed to say that."

    Yukie thoughtfully nods in agreement. "Maybe it's for you...? Well, to be honest, he does seem to mention your name a weird amount of times during practice. He probably likes you"

    The feeling of hope leaves your heart as fast as it came. "But it doesn't make sense that he would buy something that was meant for me while I'm right there..."