I slid out of the car after him, mildly surprised at the restaurant before us. The name "Chen's" was written above the building in red Chinese font that was lit up. As we walked I paused briefly as I took in everything; the retro lights that somehow worked with the red decor of the place, the sweet aroma of Asian food, the sizzling of said food as some dishes were being prepared in front of customers, and the loud chatter as people engaged in conversation.

"I can't believe I've never been here." I said to myself as I looked around, immediately enamored by the establishment.

Ryder, who heard me, said, "This place didn't exactly become popular until recently. Chen was about to close due to bankruptcy about a year ago and he had refused to sell despite that. My father stepped in and offered to invest in his restaurant instead of buying it. Now, my family makes sure to visit here whenever they're in town." 

I found myself admiring Stone Sr even more when he shared that with me.

After checking in with the hostess, we were led to a room at the back of the restaurant and past a thick red and gold curtain where a small group of people sat. The chatter halted as soon as we stepped in and I felt awkward as all eyes shifted to Ryder and I.

"Son," Stone Sr said, standing up. "I almost didn't think you'd make it."

"I said I would, and I don't go back on my word." Ryder replied tersely, his demeanor switching back to the one I knew all too well.

His father nodded before turning to me. "It's nice to see you again, Nicole."

I gave him a close lipped smile, wondering how he knew my name when I didn't know his. "Same here..." I trailed off.

"Walter," he filled in before holding my arm softly. "Come meet my family. This is my wife, Felicity." He pointed at the woman seated on his right side, her golden tresses curled to perfection on her head and her makeup impeccable. She gave me a warm smile, her emerald eyes a stunning shade. I register quickly that she looked nothing like Ryder which led me to wonder if the two were even related at all.

Walter continued. "This is my daughter, Gianna." He gestured at the girl seated across, next to a man, who looked to be in her early twenties or late teens, I wasn't sure which.

"Gigi." She corrected him, rolling her eyes before beaming up at me. "Hello."

I returned her smile with one of my own. She looked very much like her mother, same facial features and all, except for her dirty blonde hair that looked to be a mixture of both her parents.

"And that is my other son, Malcolm." Walter introduced and the guy who had his attention solely on his phone until now, looked up at me. This gave me a good look of his face which bore a resemblance to his father, and in turn, Ryder. He gave me a mock salute before clearing his throat and turning to Ryder.

Unlike most brothers, the two only shared a respectful nod before Ryder moved to settle into his seat at the other end of the table. I went to sit on the last available spot, the one on his left.

Ryder looked awfully tense as he sat down, his shoulders wrung tight and a grim look on his face as if he were about to jump into a sea full of sharks and not have dinner with his small, seemingly warm family. And he wasn't doing well to hide his feeling either as his discomfort seemed to roll off him in waves.

Felicity, who he had barely acknowledged her presence, looked at him for a moment with sad eyes before shaking her head and looking away. Malcolm had returned his attention to his phone while Gigi seemed like the only one who wasn't bothered in the least by her brother's countenance.