Episode 3: Chess

"DIOOOOO"
          Jojo's hand reached over the balcony,  moments before Dio's hand would have been out of reach. He loosely clasped the hand and tightened his hold. "J- Jojo," Dio choked out, still gripping his suitcase. "Keep holding on, Brando, I got you," Jojo persisted, and started to pull Dio in. Finally, Dio reached the railing and pulled himself over to the other side. Both of them did not hesitate to let out a huge sigh of relief.
          Jojo immediately snapped his head towards the blonde. "Are you mad!? Jumping over the rail like that!? This isn't leap frog, you dolt!"
        "I'm the dolt!? I wasn't the one handling my suitcase like that! That's my personal property, you could have broken something you git."
         "Git! I'll show you a git-"
         "That's enough!" The boys looked up to see George towering over them, a stern expression on his face. "I only traced back moments ago, when I realized none of you were by my side, only to see the both of you on the floor rambling about like idiots! I'd expect this behavior from Jojo, but I had hoped you to be better mannered, Dio."
        "B-but, he-" They both stammered.
        "Enough," George pressed. "Jonathan, give Dio back his luggage. You are to head straight to your room and spend the night without dinner."
        "Father!"
        "Dio, come with me. There's a room down this corridor that you will stay in."
        "Understood, Mr. Joestar." Dio took his suitcase and walked past Jonathan, but not before sending him a glare. Jonathan returned it and stuck his tongue out in response, making Dio only tch at his direction. Jojo watched as the blonde walked side by side with his father, his new brother settling into his home.
       "What a cocky bastard," Jojo growled.

         Thus started the rivalry between the two brothers. Dio excelled at everything, from academics to sports to social etiquette. On the other hand, Jojo always fell a little short, driving himself mad. George always praised Dio and compared him to Jonathan.
       "Jojo! Your table manners are abhorrent! And your grades are slipping as well, whereas Dio gets perfect marks. When I look at Dio, it is clear to me that I failed in your upbringing. I wonder what your mother would think of you."
        Jojo gasped in surprise, his eyes opened wide. Although his father constantly degraded him (especially during dinner), his mother had never been brought into the conversation. To his dismay, tears started to form in the corners of his eyes, and he quickly took off from the table.
        "Jojo, wait!" George called out, but it was too late. George and Dio both heard the door slam shut in Jonathan's room. "Damn," George cursed. Deep down he knew using his late wife to guilt trip was a dirty play.
        "Sir Joestar, maybe you should be less hard on Jojo. He may blunder a bit, but deep down he has a good heart."
       George turned his head inquisitively towards Dio, who was refusing to look up from his plate. "Where is this coming from, Dio? I thought you hated Jonathan.".
       "I do, but I suppose I can relate to not having a mother growing up. She's the one who's supposed to teach you your manners, how to get dressed, feed you, and smother you. Nor Jojo or I have ever experienced that, and with all due respect, it's not something for you to comment on."
       George stared on in amazement as Dio finished his statement. "If I didn't know better, I'd say you have a soft spot for the boy, Dio.". He laughed. Dio crossed his arms in annoyance. "Please don't go that far. Jojo has and will always be an arrogant dolt.".
         The father laughed again, and one could swear Dio started to blush. "Very well then. I shall take that into consideration. Is there anything else you request from me, Dio?"
       "Actually, yes.". George raised his eyebrows. "I'd like to challenge you to a game of chess. If I win, you tell me everything you know about the mask hanging by the staircase. If I don't... I'll be nice to Jojo for a whole week.".
        "Oh? That's certainly a tempting deal- it would be nice to see you guys getting along for a change. Although, there's nothing important about the mask. Jojo's mother bought it from an art exhibition. She always had an odd taste in these relics."
         "I refuse to believe that, Mr. Joestar. There are 4 books I've seen in the library detailing this mask, and I'm sure there's many more that I can't find."
         For a moment, George looked grim, but he quickly pulled himself together. "Observant, aren't you. Alright then, finish your dinner, and I'll be waiting for you in the library."
        Dio stilled himself. This was it. He had been thinking about that mask ever since his arrival at the mansion. And a chance to find more about Jojo's mother... he didn't know why, but he needed to shed some light on who she was. This could be how he'd repay Jonathan for saving him all those years ago.
       "Very well then. I'll see your there, Mr. Joestar.".
        George stood up and left the room, followed by an eager Dio. Little did they know a jealous Jojo was watching from the staircase, a dark shadow cast over his face.