Chapter 26 | Red Carpet: Part Two

Start from the beginning

Holden doesn't so much as falter but his fist does clench briefly. I take his hand in mine. "Yeah, football. Just for a year."

Emily's eyes soften with empathy. "That's right. Then you got injured. I really hope you're doing okay now."

"I am, thanks."

Jaxon eyes Holden for a moment. "Sometimes we end up being better at other things. I retired after two years and went into coaching. You're kicking ass as an agent. You're where you're supposed to be."

Holden nods and for a moment it looks like he actually believes what Jaxon says.

"Are you guys together?" Cameron's wife looks between us.

"Aves." Nate's wife shakes her head in disappointment. "Please don't meddle."

"What? They look cute!"

"We're together," I answer. I glance at Holden who winks back at me.

"Perfect. So come sit with us. I'm going to get a neck ache speaking over my shoulder."

And that's how we end up sitting through the whole event with the Fighter's Den boxers. More formal introductions are exchanged and my mind spins trying to remember their names. There's so many of them but it's obvious they're amazing people. Kind and funny and welcoming. No wonder my dad never forgot about Asher and his friends. These are the kind of people that make an impression on you for life.

"Uh-oh," I mumble, looking at my phone when it starts blowing up with messages.

Holden wraps an arm around me, kissing my temple. "What's wrong?"

"It's Mom and Dad. They're wondering why I'm casually having dinner with famous boxers and why you and I look like a couple in our selfies."

"You sent them our selfies?"

"What? They miss you."

"I miss them," Holden offers and I smile. I know he means that. "Did you tell them about us?"

"I told them I'd call tonight."

"You should call now." He nips my ear and my whole body heats up. His voice drops to a whisper, all sultry and tempting. "There won't be a lot of talking when we get home, remember? I keep thinking about all the ways I'm going to fuck you."

"Right." My breath whooshes out of me and Holden chuckles. "That."

"I mean it, Shortcake." He pulls back just enough to meet my eyes. "You look beautiful. I'm losing my mind here."

My heart flips over in my chest. He's making it really hard not to kiss the crap out of him. "Thank you."

His eyes drop to my mouth and a sound of frustration leaves him. "You better go make that call before I ruin your stupid fucking lip gloss."

"Wow, aren't we grumpy?"

"I'll be a lot less grumpier when you let me make you come."

"Behave," I whisper-hiss, smacking his chest. But when I look around the table and find amused eyes on us, it's obvious everyone heard that.